Eight year old beer still in carboy (pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I have no idea what you would do with 5 gallons of malt vinegar.
A whole lot of fish & chips?
Salad dressing?

There *probably* isn't anything wrong with it - and there definitely wouldn't be any "creepie Crawleys" in the yeast at the bottom - if anything could get in there it likely would be floating at the top.

A whole lot of fish & chips?
Salad dressing?

There *probably* isn't anything wrong with it - and there definitely wouldn't be any "creepie Crawleys" in the yeast at the bottom - if anything could get in there it likely would be floating at the top.
Anything that fell in there would likely have floated... for 2,3,4 or maybe 5 years. But we're talking EIGHT YEARS. Whatever the OP does, rack it to keg or bottling bucket, he should carefully sift through the sludge afterwards looking for clues to what, if anything, may have once died in there. A few dead bugs would probably not be reason enough to dump it, but it's worth knowing what one is drinking.

These are the threads that make HBT awesome! I have a few experiments laying around that I sample now and then. You already tasted it and it's not vinegar. Carb it up! If it's not sour or vinegary then it's not going to contaminate a keg. And if you're worried, o rings are cheap! I will pay for shipping to taste this beer carbed and bottled!

@JONNYROTTEN hats off to you for having the courage and curiosity to actually drink it.

Looking at the pic in the first post the krausen ring looks dark in places, I am not sure if that is camera angle or an indication of previous mold growth. If it there was anything that looked even remotely like mold growth the experiment would of been done for me(not a fan of funky cheese). Also if the bottom of the first glass did not trigger a "I want another" response I am not sure I would keg it.

@JONNYROTTEN hats off to you for having the courage and curiosity to actually drink it.

Looking at the pic in the first post the krausen ring looks dark in places, I am not sure if that is camera angle or an indication of previous mold growth. If it there was anything that looked even remotely like mold growth the experiment would of been done for me(not a fan of funky cheese). Also if the bottom of the first glass did not trigger a "I want another" response I am not sure I would keg it.
Well put!

It is blacker on the krausen ring in one spot so maybe its mold and going back for another glass doesn't seem appealing. Not to mention I gave a sip to my wife (didn't tell her it was 8 years old from the basement :eek:) She didn't like one bit...

So as fun as it was trying to resurrect this relic of a beer its going out to pasture...thanks for all the interest

Remember when Palmer said don't worry about autolysis in the homebrewers fermenter? This is the exception [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

This test would likely produce a false positive and could harm the dog. Dogs do not have alcohol dehydrogenase and a small amount - a few grams possibly - of alcohol can be extremely toxic. The alcohol content of the 8 year old beer is dubious, but not a good method of testing IMHO. Quite a bad one, actually.

What he's saying is 'Give it to the cat'. :D

If drinking it kills him, he'll get a special mention in Palmers next book. Thats gotta be worth dying for.
RDWHAHBTYFAF8YBIADIADJTGIPNB
Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew That You Forgot About For 8 Years, Bottled It Anyway, Drank It And Died Just To Get Into Palmers Next Book? Catchy, but I think the original is better.

Uh, not to make the OP feel bad, but i recently bottled a beer I had in secondary for 10 years. I don't remember what the beer was suppose to be but it fermented down to 1.000. It had a slightly acidic taste to it but after a month in bottles that went away and it tastes fine, not much flavor but smooth and punches like a tank.

Uh, not to make the OP feel bad, but i recently bottled a beer I had in secondary for 10 years. I don't remember what the beer was suppose to be but it fermented down to 1.000. It had a slightly acidic taste to it but after a month in bottles that went away and it tastes fine, not much flavor but smooth and punches like a tank.
pics! Also, please share the details of how it came to spend a decade aging, and did you bottle with fresh yeast? This thread is quickly approaching beer archaeology!

pics! Also, please share the details of how it came to spend a decade aging, and did you bottle with fresh yeast? This thread is quickly approaching beer archaeology!

I have a bottle chilling now... Was trying to cut back on drinking but for you guys I'll suffer...

The year was 2008, the month October. I believe it was suppose to be a Hobgoblin Clone that an HBT member created (orfy i believe?). I was not only working, but was finishing up college. I had been brewing for a year or two (before I was suppose to). Well needless to say I got too broke to brew. This poor carboy was left in the spare bedroom that was kind of a catch all for junk. I kept telling myself 'I'll bottle it one day'... People kept telling me 'Throw it out it's bad'... I had even taken a couple tastes periodically and was like 'it'll be fine in the bottle' or 'that'll age out'... I even went as far as refilling the airlock a couple times.

Then women got in the way, then losing my job, then having a band and women again (but now she's SWMBO, who's starting to brew), then working for crap pay, then good work, then moving twice with 2 kids and trying to get debt under control.

Last time we moved I brought this to the new place and it sat a while until SWMBO bought me a Brew Demon kit and resparked the love for brewing. I managed to remember my log in here and traced back my last brew... IF it's the HobGoblin clone, it actually blew it's first airlock off and dented the elevated ceiling in the extra bedroom (and stained the carpet).

I'll try to get some glamour shots in a little bit and see if i can find some of it in the carboy.

Edit: It was carbed with 5oz Dextrose and a new packet of US-05

Last edited:

I wish i could tell what it was originally... It's not terrible, it's not great, but in the words of Samuel Jackson Ale 'It'll getcha drunk'. It's been extremely slow to carb but it ALLLMOST tried to have a head. Looking to see if I can find a pic of it in secondary.
Bravo. That it tastes even a little better than sweet yooo-rine is plenty of reason to drink it. I'm struggling to "forget" any of my beers for more than a week. Then I get thirsty. I think I have one bottle left of my pale band-aid ale from last january. Only because I have zero urge to drink it.

It's not pleasant but when you're waiting on everything to carb (been having an issue with everything slow carbing) and you run out of drink, it's passable. The bottle tonight had a slight band-aidy taste but the others haven't.

I really need a kegging system...

Don't do this, hops are toxic to dogs.

I see this silly :off: nonsense everytime someone dares to mention "dog" and "beer" in the same sentence. There's a vast difference between your dog drinking a few slurps of finished beer vs. chowing down on a bag of hops or the kettle trub from your 100 IBU DIPA that you dumped out in the compost pile.

Back on topic...I have a chocolate bochet mead lingering in an old keg in my basement...was brewed in 2012, and was intended to be a leap year mead consumed in 2016. Life got in the way, as they say, for me as well around that time...I'm torn between throwing it in the kegerator now, versus waiting for February 2020......

...I'm torn between throwing it in the kegerator now, versus waiting for February 2020......
Has the airlock been kept full?

Edit: Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if those "waterless" vented silicone bungs are any good? do they actually maintain a positive seal? I would imagine people are already using something that requires less maintenance than a liquid filled airlock when aging things beyond a few months.

Has the airlock been kept full?

Edit: Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if those "waterless" vented silicone bungs are any good? do they actually maintain a positive seal? I would imagine people are already using something that requires less maintenance than a liquid filled airlock when aging things beyond a few months.

I have been using the waterless airlocks. They have been working well for me. I check the seal very well before I put in on. I haven't left anything around for quite as longs as I am seeing here, but I have had success in aging beers for 1 year with them. There are different types. Mine are the cheaper ones that have the silicone flap on top.

Back