Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinHog

Reaction score
My efficiency has been pretty poor since I started brewing all grain. I have a 10 gallon home depot cooler with a stainless steel braid (it's the DIY from HBT). I have beersmith and was wondering if there is a way to reduce your efficiency in the system and for the program to automatically increase the grain amounts required to reach the desired OG. If not, no big deal. I just thought I'd give it a shot. Thanks for the help. :ban:

Do you crush your grain? If not then that is worth checking.
Crushed...........

Crusher_5.jpg

Check your PH of the mash liquid only. You might need Five Star Chemicals 5.2 stabilizer to correct the PH.

You can add grain to an existing recipe to increase the OG or add DME at the last 15 minutes of the boil to increase the OG if needed.

You should get 80% eff. or better if the crush and PH are correct.

To answer the question. Yes. Simply type in the efficiency you expect in the efficiency field in the upper right quadrant of the recipe screen. (Next to the 'Help' button) This will adjust your Expected OG up or down. If you have a target OG type that in the gravity adjustment field and this auto adjust your grain levels.

I totally missed answering your main question because I was trying to up your efficiency so you don't need to cheat. :)

Do you crush your grain? If not then that is worth checking.
Crushed...........

Crusher_5.jpg

Check your PH of the mash liquid only. You might need Five Star Chemicals 5.2 stabilizer to correct the PH.

You can add grain to an existing recipe to increase the OG or add DME at the last 15 minutes of the boil to increase the OG if needed.

You should get 80% eff. or better if the crush and PH are correct.

I used the 5.2 stabalizer this past time. That crush looks like it is more crushed than the grains I get from my LHBS. They have a big elictric crusher they put them in. That may be the problem.

Well, time will tell then. I crush all my grains and as long as I sparge correctly I get better than 80% eff. It is not hard to do this if your crush has the grain husks well open but not powdered.

Back