Efficiency +10%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanDe680

Reaction score
This weekend, well yesterday, was a good day to brew for me....

My goal was to up my efficiency by a decent margin. I was brewing in the 70% to 72% range, which was okay and very acceptable. I really wanted to focus on the process this time though, as I felt I had a good thing going, but just wanted to perfect it a little more each time.

This time around, I brewed a blonde ale. My coffee stout is almost ready to be bottled and there were a few 6 gallon carboys without company, so I figured why not.

This time around, I took a decent amount of time collecting my runnings. By decent I mean 40-45 minutes both for first and second runnings. This seems to have made a huge difference, as my efficiency spiked to 80.26%.

Now I know there is a great debate on efficiency and sometimes it doesn't matter, but to me, it was one area where I felt I could have used some improvement. To me, efficiency is just a measure of perfecting your process to what you want it to be. That's all really.

The collection of the runnings, hitting my mash temps and ensuring a good crush were key for me. Having all of those elements helped improve my efficiency, which is what I was going for.

Just wanted to share for those looking to work on efficiency.... I found the above elements to be key. Brew days aren't something that can be rushed, this extended my process by almost 2 hours, but in the end I hit my numbers and will hopefully end up with the taste I was hoping for in my recipe. :mug:

I feel like I rush the collection of the runnings, especially after going from extract to all grain - I wanna get to the boil!

Last time I brewed, I only got around 63% efficiency and I definitely rushed the runnings part. I'm going to keep this in mind next time I brew AG, thanks for the info!

I did my first all-grain yesterday and I ended up with 72% efficiency. I did let the first and second runnings drain for a good bit and honestly, I wasn't sure how long I was supposed to let it drain.

If you are fly sparging, then taking your time while sparging makes a very big difference to efficiency.
If you are batch sparging, then the speed of the run-off is not supposed to make any difference.
If it does make a difference, then it would indicate that the sparge water had not been adequately stirred in before draining. You may find that stirring well for 5 minutes before vorlaufing and draining gives the same results as draining slowly, but could cut down your time by about 90 minutes.
Just a suggestion.

-a.

Back when I started, the biggest efficiency leap I made (65-70 to 75-80) came about from using a finer crush on the grains.

High efficency is great. As long as its CONSISTENT... I get 76% and have my process down to a T. It rarely varies by more than a few %.

Estimating my PreBoil Gravity accurately based on my grain bill makes life so much easier. Regardless of your efficency.

Back when I bought a sparge arm and started fly sparging my efficiency jumped to 85%. I think the main reason is because it forced me to slow down.

As soon as I vorlauf I open up full bore. I have slowly drained too, and I get almost identical efficiency. This was using the same grain bill with the same crush & mash temps, so it was a legitimate experiment.

Like was said before, as long as you get a good stir in before you vorlauf, it won't make a difference. It would have to be pretty significant efficiency jump for me to sit there an additional 90 minutes! I actually forgot to stir before I vorlaufed (3rd batch in 1 night of brewing) and I lost 4%.

Did you change anything else besides the runoff speed?

As soon as I vorlauf I open up full bore. I have slowly drained too, and I get almost identical efficiency. This was using the same grain bill with the same crush & mash temps, so it was a legitimate experiment.

Like was said before, as long as you get a good stir in before you vorlauf, it won't make a difference. It would have to be pretty significant efficiency jump for me to sit there an additional 90 minutes! I actually forgot to stir before I vorlaufed (3rd batch in 1 night of brewing) and I lost 4%.

Did you change anything else besides the runoff speed?

No, not really. I was more precise in the process. I had a really good crush though. I couldn't find a non-split grain in the batch, which I was excited about so I decided to really try and up this efficiency on this batch.

My temps were spot on too. Within 0.1F of where I wanted and my tun didn't lose a degree. I know that contributes as well.

More like the stars were aligned for this one.

Back