Effects of keg in 12hr car ride

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fwesthe2

Reaction score
Hi All, I need your help. im moving in the end of July from Chicago to DC. Unfortunately I just finished off 2 kegs. Im itching to brew and was considering brewing a batch, kegging it, and then taking the kegs to DC where I can tap them and enjoy.

The thing is im worried that the 12hour drive may stir/shake the beer in the keg too much. Does anyone know the effect this may have on the beer? Could this alter the flavors in an undesirable way?

Thanks Guys!

Hey MC,

Good point, I actually thought about that. But I wasnt certain that that necessarily means that the move wont impact the quality of the beer. I was trying to understand the chemical impact, if any, the move would have on the beer.

I reckon as long as you properly expel the oxygen from the tank prior to the trip, you should be ok. It's exposure to oxygen that you want to eliminate and, it should go without saying, that exposure to carbon dioxide will not yield any undesirable effects.

Since you probably didn't filter your beer before kegging, there will be some sediment in the bottom of the keg that will get stirred up during the trip. If you want to avoid this, simply rack the beer into a clean keg beforehand.

I have taken kegs of homebrew from South Bend IN to Nebraska before with no ill effects.I just made sure all the oxygen was purged with CO2 and away I went.

Thanks Guys! I will do just that, Im working out the recipe for a Moose Drool Brown Ale and Royal Oak Pale Ale!

--
FW

Back