Effects of different hopping techniques?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleC223

Reaction score
I've done a little research on hopping at different periods of the brew but wanted some first-hand advice from HBT. My question is, what are the effects on the brew of hopping at different periods? i.e....

During entire boil
Late addition
Flameout
Dry hopping (in primary or secondary)

I'm about to make my second brew and decided to add 1 oz cascade hops to an extract amber ale kit. The kit already calls for 1 oz of Willamette for the full 60-minute boil. I am thinking that dry-hopping the cascade may be my best bet to add some citrusy, hoppy flavor.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Bitterness comes from isomerizing the hop oils and to complete that will take some time, maybe up to an hour of boiling, thus you get the 60 minute addition. I've seen estimates that have 90% of the isomerization happening in the first 30 minutes. Adding the hops late (last 15 minutes or less yet) adds flavor and aroma (those are related). However, isomerization continues until the wort cools below 180 so the late additions hops can still be adding bitterness. If you do a no-chill batch, that isomerization has to be taken into account as you choose your hops. At the higher temps some of the aroma from the hop oils is driven off and lost. Once the wort is cooled, hops added do not add to the bittering but being that the wort is cool, much of the aromatic oils are preserved and we get a nose full of aroma when we drink the beer. Over time these oils will be broken down and absorbed into the beer (I think) and that wonderful aroma is gone. In my experience that takes somewhere around 2 to 3 months.

Thanks...super helpful. I've read a lot about extended dry hopping leading to undesirable grassy and vegetal flavors. What is the threshold for that? I was thinking about dry hopping for the final 5-7 days before bottling, which would be the last of 3 weeks in the fermentor. Would that be too long?

I always do at least 5 days, mostly 7 days, and I have done as much as 10. Haven't really gotten too much grassiness. Probably depends on the hop how much of that or any harshness you get. Also try staggering your dry hops for added depth. Throw in an ounce, then 3 days later add another ounce, then bottle 4-5 days later.

Thanks...super helpful. I've read a lot about extended dry hopping leading to undesirable grassy and vegetal flavors. What is the threshold for that? I was thinking about dry hopping for the final 5-7 days before bottling, which would be the last of 3 weeks in the fermentor. Would that be too long?

The second largest brewery in the state of Washington puts a mesh bag of hops into each keg of IPA where they stay until the keg is empty. How long does that take? I didn't hear anything about grassy flavors when taking the tour of the place.

The second largest brewery in the state of Washington puts a mesh bag of hops into each keg of IPA where they stay until the keg is empty. How long does that take? I didn't hear anything about grassy flavors when taking the tour of the place.

I have read here that dry hopping at normal temperatures us typically done in 2 days. There was a study by some university that came up with this. I am hopefull someone here can quote the study. I dont keg hop but i think the concensus is that this is being done cold and this takes longer and keeps the beer from getting "grassy" flavors. I have started only dry hopping for 3 days with great results. Plus beer is done faster!

Edit: ok so i stopped being lazy and a quick google search turned up the thesis on dry hopping from Oregon State. I admittedly havent read through the whole thing but sounds really interesting. No idea how to post it here but i googled dry hopping thesis.

I have read here that dry hopping at normal temperatures us typically done in 2 days. There was a study by some university that came up with this. I am hopefull someone here can quote the study. I dont keg hop but i think the concensus is that this is being done cold and this takes longer and keeps the beer from getting "grassy" flavors. I have started only dry hopping for 3 days with great results. Plus beer is done faster!

Edit: ok so i stopped being lazy and a quick google search turned up the thesis on dry hopping from Oregon State. I admittedly havent read through the whole thing but sounds really interesting. No idea how to post it here but i googled dry hopping thesis.

I've left hops in secondary for 2 weeks and never had an issue with grassiness or off flavours. I kind of assume there's a saturation point and once you're there, you can only lose aroma... but I could be wrong.

Regardless I don't think there's any harm in leaving the hops sit a week or 10 days or more.

Hey TripleC223,

You are on the right path. Cascade for dry hopping is a good idea. Change one thing at a time so you know the effect of the change. Then you will be on your way.

Enjoy the obsession....I mean hobby :)

I once had to go to work early and dry hopped for 21 days. I was sweating it the whole time. Turned out great.

New world, high potency hops don't exhibit grassiness with prolonged dry hopping because there is so much flavor and aroma. They either don't become grassy, or they simply overshadow it.

Now when you dry hop for longer than a week (or 2) with a bunch of noble hops or other low alpha/beta hops it smells like mowing a lawn, which for some beers actually works well.

I've done a little research on hopping at different periods of the brew but wanted some first-hand advice from HBT. My question is, what are the effects on the brew of hopping at different periods? i.e....

During entire boil
Late addition
Flameout
Dry hopping (in primary or secondary)

I'm about to make my second brew and decided to add 1 oz cascade hops to an extract amber ale kit. The kit already calls for 1 oz of Willamette for the full 60-minute boil. I am thinking that dry-hopping the cascade may be my best bet to add some citrusy, hoppy flavor.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

My first brew was the Block Party Amber ale extract kit. Which said to add the same 1oz of Williamette at 60 min. I dry hopped for 2 days with 1 oz of Cascade (right in the primary). It smelled fuggin amazing going into the bottles. I've tried one at 5 days in the bottle and the citrus taste is absolutely there, I think it came out great. Next time I would try it with a longer dry hop.

Back