Eeew, WTF is that nastiness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan_L

Reaction score
I think i'm about to kick my second keg. The first went quick on new years and I don't recall it unfortunately. I was just admiring how clear this latest batch was when all of a sudden the next pour is cloudy as heck. The beer line looks like it has chunky cloudy crap in it. While i'm sure this is normal (I hope), I am curious as to what is causing the last few pints to be cloudy/nasty. It seems to be something that was floating at the top and is now being drawn into the lines with the last of the keg. No off flavors so I suspect nothing wrong. Just wondering what it is and why it happens.

Likely just left over yeast from you racking into your keg. A secondary will help clear your beer and keep your lines clean. Polyclear will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You end up with a clear area right around the bottom of the dip tube from which you are drawing beer, but when you are hitting that last pint or so the dropping beer level pulls some of the trub/yeast that is at the bottom of the keg towards the dip tube and into your glass. Also, it always seems that next to last pint is the best and then the last is a little yeast slurry and foam as you empty the keg.

Thanks. I would have thought that any sediment or yeast would have fallen earlier and have been sucked up first or sooner but it makes sense now that I think about it. What a bummer to know that there are only a few pulls left, it was a great first attempt at an original IIPA and it was really growin on me.

Back