EdWorts question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new here and was thinking of making some of EdWorts Apple Cider. I was wondering if I added Brown Sugar instead of Corn sugar if it would turn out a bit sweeter? I googled Hard Cider and many recipies called for brown sugar, just wondering if any of u had made it with brown sugar befor and what it would be like?
Thanks.

Alfred The Great said:
Hey everyone, I'm new here and was thinking of making some of EdWorts Apple Cider. I was wondering if I added Brown Sugar instead of Corn sugar if it would turn out a bit sweeter? I googled Hard Cider and many recipies called for brown sugar, just wondering if any of u had made it with brown sugar befor and what it would be like?
Thanks.

I have not made it yet. But, having read soooooooo much about it on this board, I would recommend you follow the recipe. Change it later if you like, but this thing sounds like a winner the way it is.

Gammon N Beer said:
I have not made it yet. But, having read soooooooo much about it on this board, I would recommend you follow the recipe. Change it later if you like, but this thing sounds like a winner the way it is.

While the original is a fine product, I would absolutely try your own thing!! Yeah, It may be good to get one under your belt without modification, but I absolutely urge anyone to try their own thing!! :mug: :mug:

If you are worrying about sweetness, you can add splenda afterwards and it will not ferment. You can hit it with potassium sorbate and campden if you want to use regular sugar. Just beware that you will not be able to naturally carbonate the cider after that.

I've used brown sugar-both light and dark with very good results. Really high ABV when done,my 5 gallon batches use 5 # sugar(varied amounts but full pounds)-depending on the recipe and/or batch size(some use clover honey).Also yeast types have alot to do with residual sugars,tartness,heavy apple flavors left in the batch. I've also started to use apple juice concentrate(pretty sweet) also with great results.
The brown sugars I feel - depending on the amounts used, give the cider a almost layered ?? taste with plenty to chew on .
I've put my ciders up against a few here in town that've been made by the best and came out with rave reviews. Just my 2c. Shane
p.s. experiment with the amounts I'm sure you'll like the results.

Alright, thanks a lot man. So I'm just making two gallons, each in a one gallon carboy, so I was figuring on doing one with brown sugar and one with corn sugar (dextrose) Should I use about a pound of sugar a gallon? I was originally thinking of using one and a quarter cups of sugar in each. Any thoughts?
I'll let you guys know how they turn out when they're done. Hoping there'll be a difference between the two!

I'd plan on around 1/4-1/3 pound sugar per gallon... same for sane sugar, dextrose, honey, brown sugar, etc etc. All of those are highly fermentable.

Well since I have to hold off on brewing my first batch I decided to go the cider route This recipe looked like a good one. Got everything about right except overfilled and lost a little yeast. Do I need to add another gram or two or should I just see how it goes?

Elshauno said:
Well since I have to hold off on brewing my first batch I decided to go the cider route This recipe looked like a good one. Got everything about right except overfilled and lost a little yeast. Do I need to add another gram or two or should I just see how it goes?

It should be ok. But keep an eye on it and if it doesn't start to ferment within 24-48 hours I would get worried. Unless you just happen to have some yeast laying around and don't mind the cost of pitching some extra.

Has anyone tried molasses???

I was going to try some honey in a cider, or maybe syrup, but the molasses was so much cheaper I thought what the hey!

My Apflewein is getting near week two in the fermentation period, I too experienced the pungent aroma of "Rhino farts" Hope this stuff is good when it's done.
It's starting to clear already though, can't wait to taste it.
I did wind up using the corn sugar, will make a batch with Brown sugar afterwards.

Molasses would be interesting to try, I think you'd have to shake it up a lot more to dissolve it. Try warming the molasses bottle up in hot water before you pour it, it'll make it easier to get out of the bottle.

..ooops i guess I was pointing you to your own molases thread...LOL

Ha, yeah I figured I'd get more responses if I started my own thread, but thanks!

Reddy said:
Ha, yeah I figured I'd get more responses if I started my own thread, but thanks!

ooh I just remebered that I used molases in my pumpkin porter...It was a small batch (2 gal) and I think I used maybe 2 tbs...

It was a decent beer... I wouldn't make it again (I'd go with a different recipe for grains and such) but the batch is definitley drinkable...but it's taken 6 weeks in the bottle to get that way.

Back