Edworts apfelwein needs a catagory of its own

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67coupe390

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm going to make some of that famous ed worts apfelwein, but I was wondering if there would be any reason that I can't use frozen concentrate as long as it was 100% juice?

-67-

I believe there are more than a few posters who have used concentrate. Just add the required amount of water and you should be fine. Of course as long as the only additive is vitamin C.

I have also read that concentrate is ok to use. You have to make it a while before you intend to make the apfelwein so that it has time to come up to room temp...you dont want to shock your yeasties

Thanks for the help. It seemed like a silly question but I heard that when wine makers use grapes that are frozen and it makes a different taste in wine.

That just makes them easier to process, the flavor should be pretty much the same as your fermentation temps wouldn't change.

67coupe390 said:
Thanks for the help. It seemed like a silly question but I heard that when wine makers use grapes that are frozen and it makes a different taste in wine.
You may be referring to ice wines. These wines allow the grapes to freeze on the plant before harvesting. This concentrates the sugars by dehydrating the grapes. This leads to a sweeter often stronger wine.
Most bottled juice is from concentrate so using frozen concentrate should be no different than using the packaged juice. Ofcourse it is apple season so I plan to make my next batch using fresh squeezed apple juice from the local orchards.

Craig

This is great to hear. Its cheaper and I'm all about the frugal!!!!

Iced wines now that you say it is what I heard of. Thanks for the explanation on that.

I'm getting into wines now. I love fermenting!!!!! Just a warning to all the noobs beer is the gateway fermentable!!! Now all I can think about is the next fix. What to make next?:drunk:

Is it really cheaper? I've never priced out the concentrate but I always buy Farm Flavor at Shoprite when it's on sale at 99 cents per 1/2 gallon. $10 for 5 gallons seems reasonable to me.

unless I have time to look around, Costco usually has the cheapest by me. $2.80 something a gallon. Seems alright and its Motts (what ever that may mean now a days).

david_the_greek said:
unless I have time to look around, Costco usually has the cheapest by me. $2.80 something a gallon. Seems alright and its Motts (what ever that may mean now a days).
So you got the motts!

The original alone needs a category, but the mutations!!! My gawd the mutations!

I made some Apfelwein a month ago and a week ago I got anxious and siphoned 2.5 liters into a 3 liter soda bottle and primed it with 2 cans of RedBull. OMG is this stuff good. I'm reluctant to tell people what it is because its just an experiment, but my neighbor and I happily finished off the very young 3 liters of Apfel vete a la mierda para arriba(pardon the language, he's from Venezuela).

Now at least I know RedBull is fermentable...
And rather tasty...

BTW I used Motts from Costco for this.

Back