Edwort's Apfelwein Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DtownRiot

Reaction score
On Friday the 24th, I mixed up my ingredients for the recipe that Edwort had posted. I only wanted to make 2 1/2 gallons so I scaled everything down to fit my requirements. I pitched the montrachet yeast and let the little guys do their thing. I have yet to see any airlock activity. I opened my ale pail on saturday just to see what was going on inside there. There looked to be some foaming at the top, krausen, but the airlock hasn't budged once since I pitched my yeast. So I go in today to take the airlock off and peek through the little hole to see what the deal is. The entire top layer of the wort is covered in what look to be bubbles, about 50% more bubbles than when I checked on saturday. So is that fermentation? I've used this bucket numerous time so I'm sure it's not leaking the c02. My sanitation schedule is good, I've never had any issues, but the smell from my fermenter was of sulfur, the rotten egg smell. Is this the precursor to infection? Is it possible that my bucket is too big for the small amount of wort to be pushing out enough c02 to move the airlock (it's a 5 1/2 gallon). Sorry, no gravity readings so I can;t give you that info...I don't think I've ever used a hydrometer successfully so I stopped trying after six batches. I used 100% apple juice as well. I know that fermentation can take 3 days, but it's day four and I usually get airlock activity within 12 hours at the most. Any ideas?

Sounds like everything is normal to me. Apfelwein doesn't bubble up vigorously and you generally will get a sulfur/rhino fart smell from it.

relax... Apfelwein may not bubble through the airlock as potently as a beer. My batches didn't. And the Sulfur smell is completely normal... In time you will love the smell :)

Its doing its thing, just walk away from it for a month, then come back and bottle. Then walk away for 6 more months....

I have some that is around 3 years old, and it is just amazing. You can barely tell that it is dry because of the apple flavor has taken over.

Ed

I made a batch this weekend and it is bubbling like crazy. More than most of my beers. I am not sure what a Rhino fart smells like Mutilated, but I will take your word for it.

You guys really leave it in the bottle for 6months? I wanted to take it to ballgames this year. Guess I am behind the curve here.

It does taste good when young.... That being said it tastes GREAT after a few months.

For the original question, it sounds like a perfectly normal apfelwein fermentation. You won't get a krausen and trub like you do with beer. I sometimes get nothing more than a few bubbles around the edge.

Also, what do you mean by you've never gotten a successful reading from your hydrometer? Let us know how you're using it, we'll happily help you out. Hydrometers are a godsend when you're trying something new like this and don't know what to expect.

OP, it might just be you have a lot of head space in the bucket. It may take a while for the co2 to fill that before the airlock bubbles. I have mine in a 5gal better bottle (very little head space) and its bubbling like mad.

Sorry to hijack, but I am in the process of fermenting my first batch of apfelwein. I was wondering how you guys age it so long? In really long primary or do you rack to a secondary or bottle? How long can you keep it in the primary? What is the best place to age it for >4 weeks?

I used to read the whole "rhino farts" thing and chuckle a bit, thinking that it was an exaggeration......

Drinking my first bottle of cider from my first batch right now and it tastes good.

But ..... they are not kidding here when they say rhino farts. IT REALLY SMELLS LIKE THE FLATULENCE OF A LARGE HERBAVORE. I personally think its more of a moose fart, with a hint of taper, but that's just me.

"Sorry to hijack, but I am in the process of fermenting my first batch of apfelwein. I was wondering how you guys age it so long? In really long primary or do you rack to a secondary or bottle? How long can you keep it in the primary? What is the best place to age it for >4 weeks?"

Panther, I've made two batches so far and neither of them lasted long enough to get that great apple flavor, but they were really refreshing and easy to drink.

I currently have 11 gallons fermenting and I am going to bulk age the 5 gallon batch for as long as I can stand. I left it in the primary for a month and then racked to another carboy and topped off with very little head space. It is looking beautiful after 2 months.

"Sorry to hijack, but I am in the process of fermenting my first batch of apfelwein. I was wondering how you guys age it so long? In really long primary or do you rack to a secondary or bottle? How long can you keep it in the primary? What is the best place to age it for >4 weeks?"

Panther, I've made two batches so far and neither of them lasted long enough to get that great apple flavor, but they were really refreshing and easy to drink.

I currently have 11 gallons fermenting and I am going to bulk age the 5 gallon batch for as long as I can stand. I left it in the primary for a month and then racked to another carboy and topped off with very little head space. It is looking beautiful after 2 months.
For extended aging we all recommend glass since it is not oxygen permeable.

I've found that my apfelweins taste more "appley" the colder they are...they also get crystal clear when cold. ;)

Back