ECY on love2brew.com right now!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my bottle today! But the baggie it comes in is filled with yellowish clear liquid, which I'm assuming leaked out of the vial during shipment. Is my bottle ruined, or should I just pour the contents back into the vial? Or should I contact customer service?

EDIT: Just poured the liquid back in and it looks like I only lost like 5ml tops. Now i just need to get me some ingredients.

Use the bottle still, just don't pour the contents back in. You can call l2b about it, but one of mine came in that way and it was fine... I think part of it was from the ice pack...

Got my bottle today! But the baggie it comes in is filled with yellowish clear liquid, which I'm assuming leaked out of the vial during shipment. Is my bottle ruined, or should I just pour the contents back into the vial? Or should I contact customer service?

EDIT: Just poured the liquid back in and it looks like I only lost like 5ml tops. Now i just need to get me some ingredients.

I would not have poured the liquid back in at all. The inside of the bag was not sanitized, nor was the outside of the bottle.

just ordered my bug county cant wait to try it. now I have to make another sour lol should go nice with the other sours I just started roselare, yeast bay mélange, and wyeast dabom. and thanks for the advise about shipping

Hey guys, we've been reading the thread and wanted to chime in real quick about shipping.

As many of you know shipping UPS can be a little pricey and USPS make a nice, cheaper option. However from our experience USPS is almost never accurate with their delivery times and packages sometimes arrive with slight leaks. When ordering ECY there are a few factors that make UPS a much better option but mostly due to the handling and time.

We offer USPS as an option but we strongly recommend against it. Paying the extra $8 is a bummer, but this way we can properly pack it - an option we do not have if a $6 flat rate padded envelope is chosen. At the end of the day we try our best to provide you provide you with a product you love at a fair price, although shipping prices are out of our control our operational staff does put a lot of care into making sure it is packed properly. Even with those USPS often causes problems that we cannot predict or fix.

Just some food for thought - paying more for shipping stinks but getting your package on time and in good condition (or refunded) is worth it.

Thanks so much for all your support!

We offer USPS as an option but we strongly recommend against it. Paying the extra $8 is a bummer, but this way we can properly pack it - an option we do not have if a $6 flat rate padded envelope is chosen.

Just curious as to why you would ship them in a $6 envelope when you could use a $5 flat rate box? Seems like it would protect it a little better.

The box would be A better option but this does not fix the issue where USPS takes five days for a two day delivery with no repercussions available… My most recent order took five days going from Maryland to North Carolina.

No wonder USPS is losing money and needs to be bailed out constantly by our good old government…

Just curious as to why you would ship them in a $6 envelope when you could use a $5 flat rate box? Seems like it would protect it a little better.

That's a great question. The ECY vials do are too wide to fit into a flat rate box with an ice pack (believe me we've tried!). If we put a vial in the box we have to put it in without any insulation or protection which just increases the likelihood of a problem.

That's a great question. The ECY vials do are too wide to fit into a flat rate box with an ice pack (believe me we've tried!). If we put a vial in the box we have to put it in without any insulation or protection which just increases the likelihood of a problem.

Good to know. Thanks for the quick response!

Just came home to a bubbling Bug County 2014 batch of lambic brewed yesterday!
Now I just need to figure out a way to forget about it for the next 3-4 months.....

Well, 3-4 months until tasting and checking the gravity. I'm undecided when to take it off of the cake.
I made a 1 gallon mini-batch for more frequent tastings, etc.

But sure, probably not ready to bottle for at least 12-18 months.... I'll be happy if it's nice by 9 months though!
Thinking of putting 1/2 of it onto Palisade peaches at some point.

I don't know how I'm going to brew all of this, but I just ordered bugfarm, bugcounty, dirty dozen, and saison brasserie. I figured I would just order a bunch of stuff so I could get my order total to over $75 and skip on those outrageous ups shipping costs.

I don't know how I'm going to brew all of this, but I just ordered bugfarm, bugcounty, dirty dozen, and saison brasserie. I figured I would just order a bunch of stuff so I could get my order total to over $75 and skip on those outrageous ups shipping costs.

Nice! Not sure how much you're brewing at a time, but this may be a good reason to upgrade to a bigger kettle.... 2 brews for the time of one!

That's what made me pickup a 15 gallon kettle recently. Going to be able to do 10-12 gallon batches now, so I figure I can fill 2 carboys and pitch them with different yeasts. Maybe one clean brew, one funky, etc.

With the time it takes, it just seems the best way to go. My fiancee doesn't share my logic....

BTW thanks for posting, it alerted me and allowed me to get some saison brasserie! Cheers!

Nice! Not sure how much you're brewing at a time, but this may be a good reason to upgrade to a bigger kettle.... 2 brews for the time of one!

That's what made me pickup a 15 gallon kettle recently. Going to be able to do 10-12 gallon batches now, so I figure I can fill 2 carboys and pitch them with different yeasts. Maybe one clean brew, one funky, etc.

With the time it takes, it just seems the best way to go. My fiancee doesn't share my logic....

BTW thanks for posting, it alerted me and allowed me to get some saison brasserie! Cheers!

I don't personally have a large enough kettle to do more than 5 gallons, but I recently did this with a friend using a couple of blends from The Yeast Bay. We brewed 10 gallons of Flanders Red on his set up, then I took two carboys home and did one with amalgamation brett blend/lacto B and the other with Melange.

I might have to do something similar with these.

I've been very lucky with these releases. In the last few releases I got Bug County, Dirty Dozen, Bugfarm on the last turn and now Saison Brasserie and White Belgian today.

I had plans to brew this Sunday and it was going to be a Belgian stout. I've now changed my mind and think I'll be brewing a dark saison with the saison brasserie, and then pitch one of the carboys with some Dirty Dozen when it's at krausen.

Between the saison and the white belgian yeast, I think I can plan some great Spring and Summer brews earlier than I expected!

If anyone has a slurry, or bottles that I can use the dregs; I would love to trade some NC sours, Wicked Weed perhaps?

Black Angel Cherry Sour?????????

You have my attention (I have ECY01, 02, 20 2013 and 20 2014 that I could consider harvesting some of the slurry from)....

If its in such high demands why dont they just make more? i wish i could get some ECY20 or 01 but your not going to see me sitting there refreshing the page over and over. Dont have time for that.

I was lucky enough to catch it and picked up ECY02 and ECY04.

ETA: I have an extra vial of Bugfarm that I would be willing to trade for beer or yeast.

They is one guy.

He should start his own yeast company like that one dude did with the yeast bay. hire people make it bigger and profit. there already is high demand for his product so unless he loves his day job, i dont see why not go this route.

I was lucky enough to catch it and picked up ECY02 and ECY04.

ETA: I have an extra vial of Bugfarm that I would be willing to trade for beer or yeast.

I have access to Crooked Stave, I'd be willing to send you any CS beer for some of that ecy02....

I also have a few vials of ecy34 built up.... ecy03, ecy20 too...

He should start his own yeast company like that one dude did with the yeast bay. hire people make it bigger and profit. there already is high demand for his product so unless he loves his day job, i dont see why not go this route.

Evidently he doesn't want to or he would have done it a long time ago.

I have access to Crooked Stave, I'd be willing to send you any CS beer for some of that ecy02....

I also have a few vials of ecy34 built up.... ecy03, ecy20 too...

I'm really only looking to trade the Bugfarm vial. I haven't used 02 before and plan on doing a direct pitch of the fresh culture into a dark wort, and I already have 03, 20, and 34.

opening your own business is a pain in the ass: banks & loans, managing people, insurance, marketing, inventory management, accounts receivable, regulations and inspections, etc. while there is more demand than what he can currently supply, that doesn't mean there is enough demand that he can achieve economies of scale. and ask Nick at the Yeast Bay how complicated the manufacturing process is - he gave up and contracts with White Labs (brilliant decision, IMO).

right now Al is the master of his destiny. he can make what he wants, when he wants and it sells instantly. i too would love it if i could always get all of his offerings, but i can't blame him for being happy where he is.

opening your own business is a pain in the ass: banks & loans, managing people, insurance, marketing, inventory management, accounts receivable, regulations and inspections, etc. while there is more demand than what he can currently supply, that doesn't mean there is enough demand that he can achieve economies of scale. and ask Nick at the Yeast Bay how complicated the manufacturing process is - he gave up and contracts with White Labs (brilliant decision, IMO).

right now Al is the master of his destiny. he can make what he wants, when he wants and it sells instantly. i too would love it if i could always get all of his offerings, but i can't blame him for being happy where he is.

Absolutely. I was very fortunate to get in with White Labs at the right time and cultivate a great working relationship with Chris White, Neva Parker and the rest of the staff. I had no interest in manufacturing a lot of yeast. It's taken White Labs over 20 years and massive amounts of capital investment to develop and continually improve the manufacturing process. Growing yeast is easy, growing huge quantities of high viability/vitality yeast is very hard. I still deal with all of the insurance, marketing, accounting, etc. myself which is a lot of work on top of my day job as a scientist in clinical diagnostics, but not having to reinvent the wheel with manufacturing was huge for us.

To @j1n 's assertion AL should start his own company, he has. That's what East Coast Yeast is, a company. He produces things on a smaller scale than the White Labs of the world, but that doesn't make East Coast Yeast any less of a company. Seeing what Al has done was very motivating for me as I formed The Yeast Bay. I just took a different tack with respect to manufacturing.

Back