ebrewsupply.com 1 PID BIAB Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wire, wire connectors, plugs, receptacles, PID, probes, timer, pumps.

That's a first guess based on the wiring diagram.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Home Brew mobile app

Thank you, I sort of figured I'd need those odds and ends but wanted to make sure there wasn't some big component I was forgetting. I'm trying to start piecing some things together to begin building a small a controller for a single-vessel electric biab setup. I just want to be able to run a single 5500w ulwd element and a single US Solar pump. Would this fit the bill?

Thank you, I sort of figured I'd need those odds and ends but wanted to make sure there wasn't some big component I was forgetting. I'm trying to start piecing some things together to begin building a small a controller for a single-vessel electric biab setup. I just want to be able to run a single 5500w ulwd element and a single US Solar pump. Would this fit the bill?

By the time you get that all together, factor in the extra part costs, and your time to build, you'd probably be in the price range of this controller (http://electricbiab.com/) that does all that for you and is meant for precisely what you are looking to do.

Now if you are doing this with the intention to expand in the future, then I would look at a BCS system instead (http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/bcs460.html). It would be more work to setup the 1 pot setup, but less than a complete DIY job, and you'd gain the ability to expand later on without having to change your controller/PID setup.

Do you need pid control? If not just an ssvr will get your element going. Simple and cheap. . . The ebrew kit is way overkill if you want simple and cheap.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Home Brew mobile app

By the time you get that all together, factor in the extra part costs, and your time to build, you'd probably be in the price range of this controller (http://electricbiab.com/) that does all that for you and is meant for precisely what you are looking to do.
Thank you for the input, I've looked over this setup a few times and while cost is definitely a factor there is also a major loss of "cool factor" with just a plug'n'play unit. While I'm definitely a newbie to the world of wiring/diagrams, I am a pretty handy guy with a decent shop full of tools and ambition so I don't believe building my own is beyond me.

I think I would rather have the PID control and be able to preset the mash temp and boil, rather than fiddling with a dial trying to hit my temps.

I have purchased Kal's book and have tried to be diligent in searching through past threads for my answers but haven't found a ton of threads on single vessel panels that go into much depth or detail.

Thank you for the input, I've looked over this setup a few times and while cost is definitely a factor there is also a major loss of "cool factor" with just a plug'n'play unit. While I'm definitely a newbie to the world of wiring/diagrams, I am a pretty handy guy with a decent shop full of tools and ambition so I don't believe building my own is beyond me...

I figured that was the direction you were headed, which is why I mentioned the BCS. Rather than be stuck in stone with a fixed number of PIDs, the BCS will act from 1 to as many as 4 PIDs with the BCS-460 and up to 8 PIDs with the BCS-462. That's just the basic functionality. With that your wiring and design can be made more simple - you're building a black box per se.

The real advantage is two-fold:

• Remote monitoring and display, e.g. using a tablet to view all of the dials and guages
  • The ability to customize your process steps
  • The ability to control beyond the brewing process - fermenters and kegerator control

That second one is key and is why I may sell my picoBrew and build a BCS system. Being able to make your own process steps allows you to customize the equipment and process steps on a per recipe basis. Think one set of steps and temperatures for ales and another for lagers.

In addition to that, if you build around the BCS, there is a whole community dedicated to that system complete with part lists, wiring diagrams, and interface customizations. So great support and unlimited possibilities.

As far as the "cool factor" with the picoBrew, this is my current setup with it. There is plenty of coolness and lots of other areas to use your handyman skills:

1896719_364529927022049_1492034022_n.jpg

I think the best thing about BCS is the extended tinkering you get out of it. I love planning and building. Sucks that once you finish the rig you're kind of done and only have recipe tinkering to keep you entertained. Lots of cool stuff you can dick around with in BCS if you want to.

As far as the "cool factor" with the picoBrew, this is my current setup with it. There is plenty of coolness and lots of other areas to use your handyman skills:

1896719_364529927022049_1492034022_n.jpg

Touche' on the coolness factor sir! Pretty sweet setup there!

I really would love to replace the PID build with a BCS swap but right now it's all about persuading SWMBO that it's a worthwhile investment with another baby on the way(Which is one reason I'm trying to do this on the cheap). And while she is a great sport when she can actually drink the beer I make(Yes, my wife actually digs it), she doesn't seem as much of a pushover when she can't imbibe. :eek:

What's your budget? It would be easier to help with a better definition of how cheap is cheap. :)

What's your budget? It would be easier to help with a better definition of how cheap is cheap. :)

Great question! Let's see... if I had to quantify it'd be around $100 a paycheck for the next X amount of months. Not as lavish of an income as I'd like, but I'm hoping to change that someday if I can ever graduate(I'm on the decade plan). :eek:

Touche' on the coolness factor sir! Pretty sweet setup there!

I really would love to replace the PID build with a BCS swap but right now it's all about persuading SWMBO that it's a worthwhile investment with another baby on the way(Which is one reason I'm trying to do this on the cheap). And while she is a great sport when she can actually drink the beer I make(Yes, my wife actually digs it), she doesn't seem as much of a pushover when she can't imbibe. :eek:

Mine doesn't drink beer so I have to compromise with wine ventures, a small price to pay.

I know it's hard to resist, but save your money and get what you really want. Don't waste it on a box of parts that you might change your mind on 50 times before you get it built. You just end up spending more and then you make compromises because you don't want to waste what you already bought. Ask me how I know. Yeah you can sell some of it, but pennies on the dollar. I just finished a couple years ago myself and am $60k in the hole. Luckily I already had a good job in IT with my fair share of years in already climbing the corporate ladder. Good luck with that baby - enjoy that!

Now if you are doing this with the intention to expand in the future, then I would look at a BCS system instead (http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/bcs460.html). It would be more work to setup the 1 pot setup, but less than a complete DIY job, and you'd gain the ability to expand later on without having to change your controller/PID setup.
Hey trboyden-

Ever think about writing a review of the picoBrew? Having a hard time finding info on it. Thinking about going in that direction. A little torn as I'm now thinking about a BCS biab setup. How do you like the software/support? Aside from being able to control fermentation chambers is a BCS setup worth the extra efforts?

Latest posts

Back