Ebiab kettle size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anmetcalf

Reaction score
I currently do 5 gallon batches and really don't see me move up to 10 gallon batches (but you know how that goes) and am trying to decide what size kettle to get. I am looking at a 10 gallon (my original choice) and a 15 gallon. If I was boiling, say, 8 gallons in the 10 gallon pot that make it about 12.5" up in the pot with about 4" of head space. In a 15 gallon pot and 8 gallons it would be about 8.5" high with plenty of head space.

With all that said, if I boil that or less in the 15 gallon but will I have enough volume over the element? And the element is mounted 2" from the bottom so about 3" will just cover the element. So am I better to stick with a 10 gallon or will the 15 suit me well?

Thanks

I think you also need to consider if you plan to do a no sparge, full volume mash. Many times that's what determines what size kettle you go with. If I were going full volume mash, I'd get the 15 gallon. Otherwise, the 10 gallon will be just fine.

If you're concerned about the element height in the 15 gallon, buy one that's taller and skinnier.

EDIT: FWIW, I do eBIAB, 6 gallon batches in a 9 gallon bayou classic.

I would recommend the 15 gal pot. Like you, I have only ever done "5 gallon" batches, which typically are closer to 6 than 5 because of the 6.5 Fermenters I use. I have used 4 or 5 different pots in my years of brewing, all under 10 gallons and ALWAYS worried about boiling over. Now, in my latest upgrade (to an EBIAB system that I am almost complete), I built it around a 15 gallon Bayou Classic after doing my research, mostly on this forum. My reasoning is that I have the option to brew 10 gal (which will probably never happen lol), but most importantly, can boil harder (and longer if needed like when using Pilsner malt) and don't have to mind the kettle like I did in the past. I have done a few test runs with my standard water load for a full volume mash and am convinced I made the right choice. One point of clarification tho, if u use an immersion chiller you might want to consider one designed for "stock pots" as your wort level will be lower in the kettle, and render a "standard" IC less efficient. Take a look at Jaded's King Cobra to get a visual picture of what I am talking about. My two cents anyway, good luck.

Back