Ebay Temp Controller Amp Rating w/ my Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rifraf

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just finished building my temperature controller using MisplaceCanuck's build here.

The controller is rated for 10A. I just read the instruction manual for my Magic Chef 5.1 freezer that says to use a power source rated for 15A, but the sticker on the back has listed a current of 1.3A and a start-up of 9A. If I'm correct that means it will pull 9A when it starts and drop to 1.3 during normal operation which should be good. Am I ok to carry forward? I figure the instruction manual is being safe and that I'm good, just wanted to ask the experts here at HBT.

Thanks!

There is a lot of debate with these controllers.

Ultimately, you need to think about your safety, and something rated for 10 amps running something stated for 15 amps is asking for trouble.

HOWEVER. I run 2 freezers that both mention they are over 10 amps for a year and neither have had any issues.

So, in closing, if your house catches on fire, we warned you. Will it? Well.....

IIRC, these temp controllers are rated 10A/250VAC or 15A/120VAC. I remember reading this on a sellers site at one point, but of course, I cannot find this now.

I have one operating right now, going on about 2 years. I just got a second in the mail. I plan to rig both up to a fuse or circuit breaker regardless. My second chest freezer is much larger than the first. Plus, I like the idea of some measure of safety from these cheapo controllers.

Hi

Which eBay controller do you have? There are several out there. If it's a STC-1000 the relay is likely rated at 15A.

Bob

Hi

I tore a STC-1000 open yesterday (they are easy to open up) and looked at the relays. In mine they are clearly labeled as 15A at 110V. They seem to be well made.

Bob

Like your logo. here's my beer label,similar

BeerLabel.jpg

Latest posts

Back