eBay kegerators any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, I am NOT a DIY type. But I would strongly consider doing something yourself, as it'll be much cheaper and probably better.

If you need something that looks nice, you can buy a small chest freezer, and add a collar or a tower and paint it or trim it with wood and it'll look like a great piece of furniture. I'll look for some links, but Jester's is awesome. It's better looking, and much cheaper than the ebay links!

I have a regular fridge, with taps in the front, so it's not as aesthetically pleasing but it cost $50 for the fridge, and $75 for the taps/drip trays so the price was right!

This does need to look good as it will be in my family room/kitchen, The other appliances are black with stainless fronts. Really don't have the time to be creative as I'm pretty busy with work. My free time has to be for brewing, tasting and having fun.

That's not the kind of thing I'd buy long distance unless you knew for sure that they'd come get it if something was wrong. Too many kegerator horror stories like that. I'd buy something from Amazon because I know they will pick it up if I don't want it. Try Home Depot as they have sales on low end units.

Thanks for the responses. I'm not neccesarily looking for a "low end" unit, just trying to find something that works well for the money. I looked at all the kegerators available through Home Depot and they are the same exact units selling on eBay just more expensive. So I don't see that as an option. Shipping fees do come into play, so if its a bit more expensive locally that's ok as it will offset shipping prices. I'll check out Amazon too, but just for what its worth, not all eBay resellers are bad. Is beverage warehouse a reputable source? They have lots of eBay ads.

Maybe what I'm trying to find out here is... What name brands are known here on the forums as being suitable?

my local costco has haier kegerators for $349,comes with a 5 lb co2 bottle.

I have one and it fits 3 cornies no problem

my wife bought me the nostalgia electrics kegerator off ebay. It had a bunch of poor reviews on the internet, but i have had it since february and it has worked like a dream. Like most kegorators it is set up for sanke's and there is just the minor DIY work setting up corny QD's. I think it was listed buy it now for 300 hundred with free shipping and came with a C02 tank and dual regulator. also despite claims to the contrary it had an adjustable thermostat. its worth looking at for a kegerator assembled and shipped for under $400.

P.S. interesting side note the seller accidently returned my payment. i contacted him several times since and he claims that he got his money and doesn't want anymore. So i ended up getting it for free!!!!:rockin:

OK... did a lot more research after reading some posts and this is what I wound up doing. At least for now. I went to the LHBS and bought a 5lb C02 bottle, Cornelius Keg, dual regulator so I can eventually do two kegs. I also bought a shank and Perlick PERL Stainless faucet to feed through the front door of the frig in the basement. I will try this for a while and see how it goes. I can transfer beer from the Frig downstairs to growlers and keep a couple of them in my refrigerator upstairs.

Eventually I'll find the resources to buy a kegerator for the upstairs.

Back