Ebay Hops beware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at that very same listing and glad I passed it up reading this now.
I'm so sorry you got schneebed with a bad old batch of cheesy hops. Yuk!

Remember, there is always a claims process you may want to give a try: Product is NOT as described! If that doesn't satisfy you in a reasonable time for you (a week), credit cards are really great with refunding! Been there. There's NO eBay transaction that comes out of my bank account, credit cards all the way. I really like having that second tier of "protection." Oh, besides, no questions asked, none.

Yeah working on getting refund but still ticked since I have to pay to ship them back. I just cant believe hops could smell that bad. The wife is not happy that our house smells like a$$ cheese LOL

Hmmmmm.... Don't like hearing that. I have some that should be showing up tomorrow from same location. Recommendation came from someone who I respect, so i was going off of their opinion. Hoping it is an isolated case..... I didn't order 2 lbs.......

Hmmmmm.... Don't like hearing that. I have some that should be showing up tomorrow from same location. Recommendation came from someone who I respect, so i was going off of their opinion. Hoping it is an isolated case..... I didn't order 2 lbs.......

Good luck I hope is out better for you than it did for me.

I always look at the seller ratings when using eBay. If it is not 98% to 100% they won't get my order.

I bought 4 pounds with a pound of Pilgrim for free on a Thanksgiving special at Hops Direct. The 4 that I bought were Glacier, Magnum, Sonnet, and Aurora. about $7.00 per pound!

The smallest amount they sell is 1 lb. I just looked and they have several varieties at $5.00/lb. Their prices on popular types look good. These are for pellet hops.

I always look at the seller ratings when using eBay. If it is not 98% to 100% they won't get my order.

I bought 4 pounds with a pound of Pilgrim for free on a Thanksgiving special at Hops Direct. The 4 that I bought were Glacier, Magnum, Sonnet, and Aurora. about $7.00 per pound!

The smallest amount they sell is 1 lb. I just looked and they have several varieties at $5.00/lb. Their prices on popular types look good. These are for pellet hops.

+1 to HopsDirect, I got/get most of my hops from them. But... they don't carry or have sold out many of the trendy ones already. Like Mosaic, Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra, etc. Their shipping used to be a bit high for one or 2 pounds, but it evened out once you bought at least 4 pounds. Plus they have buying limits on some (trendy) hops. I haven't ordered any this year, start using up what I have stored in my freezer.

I ordered from them last year and the hops were excellent. Just ordered the same hops as you a couple days ago expecting them today. I hope the problem is isolated and you get your money back. I will report back if I have a problem or not

I'm the same way and there rating was 100% but I have no clue how

I'm the same way and there rating was 100% but I have no clue how

I trust that the hops were bad. But, have you used those types before? I find that some varieties smell great and others less so. But none have smelled to me like 20 year old blue cheese.

If it were summer I would wonder about really hot conditions during shipping.... Cold should make things better not worse.

I trust that the hops were bad. But, have you used those types before? I find that some varieties smell great and others less so. But none have smelled to me like 20 year old blue cheese.

If it were summer I would wonder about really hot conditions during shipping.... Cold should make things better not worse.

Oh yeah Mosaic is my favorite hop used numerous amounts of times

Oh yeah Mosaic is my favorite hop used numerous amounts of times

So 20 year old blue cheese is not the normal aroma from Mosaic.......

Just noting that some of the hops that I use do not smell as good as others. I love the aroma of Cascade hops for instance.

+1 to HopsDirect, I got/get most of my hops from them. But... they don't carry or have sold out many of the trendy ones already. Like Mosaic, Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra, etc. Their shipping used to be a bit high for one or 2 pounds, but it evened out once you bought at least 4 pounds. Plus they have buying limits on some (trendy) hops. I haven't ordered any this year, start using up what I have stored in my freezer.

Hops direct has great prices but as you pointed out never have the hops I want. I usually (99%) of the time go through Yakima valley for my hops but seen that special on ebay and had good rating so I gave it a shot. I wouldn't even really cared stuff happens bad bag or what not but they just really didn't seemed to care that I was sent a bad lb of hops. Trying to make me pay for return shipping is kinda ticking me off but I am going through ebay to get it resolved. Just giving everyone a heads up to beware.

I'm not an IPA guy so I don't have the huge hop bill's most of you have..That said I just paid 22.00 for 1 lb of East Kent Golding's at my LHBS. They are 17.00 + 7 dollars to ship from Hops Direct if they even had them..which they don't. Glad to support my LHBS and let them work out and stock the whole bulk buying thing for me, I'm happy to help with their bottom line profits and know right where I can return things NQA if ever there were an issue with freshness or any other reason. They really are a great bunch of guys.

I understand totally if you don't have such a blessing close to you. That would be unfortunate indeed.

So 20 year old blue cheese is not the normal aroma from Mosaic.......

Just noting that some of the hops that I use do not smell as good as others. I love the aroma of Cascade hops for instance.

Most definitely not the normal aroma LOL I didn't take offense to your comment hope I didn't come off as so... You are definitely right not all hops smell the same but for aroma hops they should never smell like that Wooh they smell bad. They also were very damp.

I'm not an IPA guy so I don't have the huge hop bill's most of you have..That said I just paid 22.00 for 1 lb of East Kent Golding's at my LHBS. They are 17.00 + 7 dollars to ship from Hops Direct if they even had them..which they don't. Glad to support my LHBS and let them work out and stock the whole bulk buying thing for me, I'm happy to help with their bottom line profits and know right where I can return things NQA if ever there were an issue with freshness or any other reason. They really are a great bunch of guys.

I understand totally if you don't have such a blessing close to you. That would be unfortunate indeed.

Yeah I would love to go to a hbs but nearest one is over 3 hours away :(

I got my hops (15lbs).... They are packed very well - double bagged and both vacuum packed. I am not going to go through and open every pack (which would obviously be a self defeating idea). However, I am brewing an IPA right now and I am using Galaxy hops in it which I needed to open - They smelled fantastic and are in great shape. I already have Mosaic and Citra on hand that was opened and in a vacuum packed mason jar - so, I have not checked out the mosaic yet. What Lot # did you have for your Mosaic? Mine is Lot 15- MOS1. I did notice the AA on them is pretty low for Mosaic (8.9%) compared to a 12.3% HopUnion bag that I have here. I will likely open this pack of Mosaic fairly soon.

Like I said, my Galaxy was in great shape. I have heard nothing but good feedback on this vendor (which is why I ordered). Hope yours was an isolated incident, and I hope you get good customer service on the issue. I will check back when I open the Mosaic.

Oh wow, sorry to hear this TimH, I ordered 5 to 10 pounds from Hop Heaven last fall on a chance because I read a few people highly recommend him on other homebrew sites. Pretty well known people in the homebrew community too. They were wonderful hops!! Simcoe, Citra Mosaic,Columbus Amarillo etc. I am just now finishing these up and have ordered a 2015 batch of about the same amount that I received about 2 weeks ago.

I am a little worried now :(

I guess I will know over the next few months how they are.
BTW this site has a 100% rating. I hope this is a isolated incident and good luck with getting this straightened out

I got my hops (15lbs).... They are packed very well - double bagged and both vacuum packed. I am not going to go through and open every pack (which would obviously be a self defeating idea). However, I am brewing an IPA right now and I am using Galaxy hops in it which I needed to open - They smelled fantastic and are in great shape. I already have Mosaic and Citra on hand that was opened and in a vacuum packed mason jar - so, I have not checked out the mosaic yet. What Lot # did you have for your Mosaic? Mine is Lot 15- MOS1. I did notice the AA on them is pretty low for Mosaic (8.9%) compared to a 12.3% HopUnion bag that I have here. I will likely open this pack of Mosaic fairly soon.

Like I said, my Galaxy was in great shape. I have heard nothing but good feedback on this vendor (which is why I ordered). Hope yours was an isolated incident, and I hope you get good customer service on the issue. I will check back when I open the Mosaic.

This is great to know, I emailed him and had him add a pound of Galaxy to my order, I have not opened any of the 7 pounds I received yet, at least this is good news Thanks!

I noticed the same AA on my 2015 mosaic hops 8.9% , 2014 hops were 11.7% I don't know enough about hops to know how much difference this makes since I don't really use mosaic as a bittering hop

I almost exclusively use hop heaven hops. I wonder if something is wrong with yours cause they are always fantastic for me and everyone I know that uses them. I look forward to preordering from him every year.

Mine is Lot 15- MOS1. I did notice the AA on them is pretty low for Mosaic (8.9%) compared to a 12.3% HopUnion bag that I have here. I will likely open this pack of Mosaic fairly soon.

Oh BTW this is my 2015 lot # also, I have to finish up my 2014 Mosaic first so I will definitely be monitoring this thread to see how yours are.

Oh and also I just bottled a 5 gal batch of your NE IPA recipe Braufessor , I used Centennial, Cascade and Amarillo from Hop Heaven, the aroma just from bottling filled the kitchen. I cant wait to try this in another week, I think it is going to be fantastic.

I have gotten disappointing hops from a lot of places, but never from Hop Heaven. I have ordered hops from Hop Heaven on eBay for 3 years now and never been let down.

The guy running Hop Heaven is selling many thousands of pounds of hops each year including to many breweries; it's not like it's some kid in a garage trying to get one over on you. Send him back the hops, get your refund and move on. There is nothing unreasonable about asking for you to return the merchandise before you get a refund.

I have gotten disappointing hops from a lot of places, but never from Hop Heaven. I have ordered hops from Hop Heaven on eBay for 3 years now and never been let down.

The guy running Hop Heaven is selling many thousands of pounds of hops each year including to many breweries; it's not like it's some kid in a garage trying to get one over on you. Send him back the hops, get your refund and move on. There is nothing unreasonable about asking for you to return the merchandise before you get a refund.

agree, crappy vendors is how I ended up getting recommend hop heaven and have no reason to go to anyone else ever again. Always top notch, even the stuff that is previous years crop.

Lot number is the same as yours. The packaging was good. On the El dorado when I cut open the bag you could hear the vacuum release but when I cut open the Mosaic nothing but a nasty aroma. They had such a good rating I had to try and most likely an isolated incident but he tried to basically tell me I don't know what I'm talking about and that's the way they are supposed to smell and that he smelled every batch and would be pointless to send me a new package of them since they are all the same. Never once using mosaic did it ever smell like that and never once were they damp. I chalked it up to a bad bag, maybe punctured in shipping but the response is what ticked me off. I may not order 100's of pounds of hops a year but definitely not a noob

I am glad to hear that its just an isolated incident. Definitely don't want some shady hop dealer ripping people off.

but he tried to basically tell me I don't know what I'm talking about and that's the way they are supposed to smell and that he smelled every batch and would be pointless to send me a new package of them since they are all the same.

Good reviews on this site but for one order (1 pound?) he is making a big mistake in the way he is handling this problem. Most sellers would replace the hops in question without hesitation. Maybe asking they be returned for inspection to determine what the problem is. That should also be at the sellers cost.

I for one would be very cautious to buy based on just this one bad experience. Not with the possibly one package of bad hops but in the way he is hesitant to recognize and fix the problem.

I have been buying hops from Ted (Hop heaven) for 3-4 years now and have never been disappointed. Usually around 4 or 5 pounds at a time multiple variety's. I don't go through ebay anymore though I order straight from him.

Good reviews on this site but for one order (1 pound?) he is making a big mistake in the way he is handling this problem. Most sellers would replace the hops in question without hesitation. Maybe asking they be returned for inspection to determine what the problem is. That should also be at the sellers cost.

I for one would be very cautious to buy based on just this one bad experience. Not with the possibly one package of bad hops but in the way he is hesitant to recognize and fix the problem.

They have resolved this issue for me. I don't know if it was that we were both having a bad day or what but issue is resolved to my satisfaction as they are paying for the shipping back, which was my only issue. It looks to be a an isolated issue and would use him again just based on how he worked to make this right. :mug:

They have resolved this issue for me. I don't know if it was that we were both having a bad day or what but issue is resolved to my satisfaction as they are paying for the shipping back, which was my only issue. It looks to be a an isolated issue and would use him again just based on how he worked to make this right. :mug:

How do you contact him directly to order?

Just a thought - you might want to edit the title and append something like "Issue Successfully Resolved." If it really was just a miscommunication or sumthin, no need to have people read through the first page and decide to give up on the supplier.

Well, its what I'd do anyway.

Back