Easy Stainless Lined Cooler Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamWS

Reaction score
A few months ago, thanks to a 3 alarm fire in my building and the resulting layer of greasy soot on EVERYTHING, I tossed pretty much all of my plastic brewing equipment, including my cooler mash tun (that nasty chemical/smoke smell just doesn't seem to come out of plastic). Now that I'm finally settled in a new, permanent, place I've started rebuilding my brewery.

I've always used a round beverage cooler style mash tun (was on my third) and have had great results with them: I loose on average about 1-1.5*F/hr of mash, I get high 80's efficiency, etc. The only thing that I've never really liked about any cooler style mash tun is that they are plastic. They're not really designed to hold hot liquids, the liners distort and (though it never happened to me) sometimes crack. And, despite never experiencing or even hearing of any off flavors coming from prolonged hot-side contact with the plastic liners in coolers, I was never 100% confident that there wasn't a little something that I might not want to drink leaching into my wort.

With that in mind, I was a bit intrigued by a thread a while back where a forum member had lined a cooler with a stainless pot. At the time I had a nearly brand new mash tun that I was happy with and I wasn't so keen on the excavation process shown in the thread which looked like a pain (the OP had to cut out a lot of plastic and cut off the top of the cooler to get the pot to fit...and with the top gone, so went the lid).

Now that I was starting from scratch, I decided to do something similar though I knew from the start that I didn't want to go through the excavation process. I had a few somewhat complicated ideas that might have been workable but before getting bogged down in any of that I pulled out my old first brew kettle. It was a 9 gallon, fairly flimsy stainless pot that came with a turkey fryer kit about 8 years ago. I took the pot's measurements (16 1/2"H x 12 1/2"D with a 12 7/8"D lip) then got online to check the inner dimensions of the various 10 gallon coolers. My preference would have been an Igloo cooler since they hold temperature better but the interior of Igloos are tapered and wouldn't work. When I checked the Rubbermaid, though, I was pleasantly surprised. It was listed as 18.375"H x 12.875"D with no taper-the interior diameter was exactly the same as the lip of my old pot. I ran down to Home Depot to grab a cooler, got it home and confirmed: a perfect fit.

This is what followed (it took under an hour):
1. Cut off kettle handles with a hack saw and filed the sharp edges.
image_zps8e5044e8.jpeg

2. Checked the fit (perfect) and marked the location for the hole in the kettle/liner.
image1_zps3d9a7df9.jpeg

3. Drilled the hole for the bulkhead.
image2_zps0e432ed8.jpeg

4. Dry assembled and marked top of the stainless liner.
image3_zps17f1b832.jpeg

5.Roughed up the underside/outside of the lip of the pot as well as the corresponding area just underneath the line I marked on the cooler interior. I also covered the interior of the hole with tape.

image4_zps3e648f75.jpeg

image5_zps5ad8e551.jpeg

6. Assembly.
Sorry, no pics here. I was alone and had my hands full.
Basically, I mixed up some JB Weld and ran a bead along the roughed-up area of the interior of the cooler, just below the line I marked. I then coated the floor of the cooler and the bottom 1/3 or so of the side wall of the interior of the cooler with polyurethane spray foam. I carefully began to lower the pot down and, when about 2/3 of the way home, stuck the long nozzle of the spray foam in the space between the pot and the cooler and filled as much of the remaining space as possible (just about all of it so far as I can tell) with foam.

I then pushed it all the way down (had to really put some weight into it to displace the foam on the bottom), lined up the holes, pulled the tape, and inserted the bulkhead.

image6_zps410b4d40.jpeg

The lip seated nicely in the JB Weld as evidenced by the neat, thin line of squeeze-out. It's mostly there to ensure things are water-tight and nothing seeps down between the liner and the cooler during cleaning. 9 gallons of mash tun is plenty to meet my needs so my wort should never touch it but if it does, JB Weld is food safe after it's cured and good up to 550*F.

Since I had some spray foam left over, I decided to address one of the causes for Rubbermaids not holding their temp as well as Igloos, namely that the lids are not insulated.
I drilled a few holes in my lid, just big enough to fit the foam nozzle, and pumped it full of foam. After the foam began to set I trimmed the excess and sealed the holes with JB Weld. Hopefully this will help.

photo_zpsa6262b81.jpg

I realize this is useless to anyone else unless I know the make of the pot. Since it was part of a kit I purchased more than eight years ago I can't be 100% positive but after looking around I think this may be the pot-it looks a lot like it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360991963254?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The seller gives "approximate" dimensions and, to an ebay seller, 12.875" may very well be approximately 13". Again, I'm not positive but it might be worth an inquiry if anyone else is interested in making something like this...Or if you happened to have bought the same model generic turkey fryer years ago then all the better.

I hope someone finds this useful.

This is sweet.... But it doesn't address the real reason most end up changing out a cooler mashtun for a stainless one... The cosmetic reason. and the "homebrew status" that stainless apparently has become synonymous with.

Know this is personal preference and I do completely respect that but it should be mentioned that I myself have looked and found no reason to believe the cooler plastic isnt fine for liquids below 170 degrees without leeching anything into the wort.... I have discovered some of my thermal coffee mugs are lined with the same grade/type of plastic. my coffee is hotter than my wort in my mashtun.
It get to a point where you say where do I stop questioning everything? I mean the silicone hoses? the plastic bags the grain is sealed into with heat melting the plastic leeching fumes and chemicals into the grain? the grade of stainless and amount of ferrous metal in it? And of course the sad fact that the alcohol is likely more harmful to our bodies than all of this in reality... lol

Agreed-If I had been particularly worried about it I wouldn't have continued using plastic for the last 8 years.

However, there remains the durability issue: the plastic liners in coolers DO distort with heat and I've seen and heard of plenty of cases where they crack (though, again, none of mine ever actually cracked).
I haven't spent a lot of time researching the subject but I'd guess that your coffee mug is lined with a different type of plastic that doesn't experience the dimensional changes with heat that you see with the cooler...which is understandable since these types of coolers were not designed to hold hot liquids.

Oh, and I don't mind the look of the cooler one bit.

Edit:
Just did a quick search and both coolers and plastic lined thermal mugs are lined with food grade polypropylene...though neither were more specific than that. I would still guess that they are slightly different given the different applications...though it could be that the reason cooler liners noticeably distort and mug liners don't is a simple matter of surface area.

PP's Max Continuous Use Temp is 176*F (FWIW I've always tried to avoid drinking coffee from plastic, too) and one of the major disadvantages listed for PP in general is "High mould shrinkage and thermal expansion."

Did your foam properly expand in the lid? If it did, what brand did you use? I thought mine had but after testing by squeezing the triangle sections I found that it had not. I ended up having to inject some water in there to get it properly expanded. It took a couple days and few mists of water form a spray bottle, but eventually it properly expanded and set. Next time, I'll premist the inside of the lid prior to injecting the foam - OR get some better expanding foam that works in enclosed spaces.

BTW, nice SS lining. :D

I think so-It expanded well out of the holes...It was super humid and raining out here at the time, though. I think I used the Dow Great Stuff (the one for big gaps, not the standard).

Very good. I used not Great Stuff, and I'd say it was not very great :D

My stuff expanded really good outside of the holes, but inside the lid (where I couldn't see) is where is just stayed stagnant. I was able to squish the lid with no problem and if I shook the lid I could hear/feel the goop slosh around.

Just a quick update for anyone considering this:
I knew before I started that JB Weld doesn't bond very well to PP (not much does...) but I thought that by roughing it up a bit in a attempt to create a higher energy surface that it would probably meet my need (the pot already fit fairly snugly and I was just looking for some insurance against water seeping between the pot/liner and the cooler). After everything was cured, I pressed and pulled, and generally examined the joint. All looked good.

Well, as mentioned before, PP expands (and distorts) considerably with heat. I got to see just how much when I ran a test with hot water in the new mash tun. The good news: 8 gallons of hot water lost about 1*F over the course of an hour. The bad news: The cooler's PP lining expanded a LOT more than the stainless and the JB Weld pulled away from the PP in a few places.

So right now I'm slowly chipping the JBW off of the stainless and deciding on a new way to seal things. There are a few specialty adhesives that will adhere PP with proper treatment but after seeing the expansion in relation to the stainless I'm leaning toward making a gasket by slicing some silicone tubing length-wise and forcing it between the stainless lip and the PP. The fit would be extremely tight when cool and I think would stay tight when warm/expanded.

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I like the idea and think once you have it worked out it will serve you well.

I think the caulk would work but I like your idea better with the tubing.

And did you consider gorilla glue? seem like that stuff sticks to everything.

Good luck.

Silicone doesn't bond to PP nor does Polyurethane (gorilla glue...plus gg is messy, foams).

As mentioned before, there are only a very few specialty adhesives that will form a proper chemical bond with PP and you're not likely to pick them up at your local hardware store. The JBW epoxy seemed to have a decent mechanical bond to the roughed PP surface until the surface expanded. Silicone would be the same-it would at best form a superficial mechanical bond that would be very easily separated. Even though it is quite flexible I seriously doubt that that superficial bond would hold through the cycles of expansion and contraction.

With all the movement I think I'll be better off with a tight fitting gasket. I'm pretty confident it'll work and be water-tight for the short exposures to water that that area will see. Remember, my mash will be below that area, it'll never be under water for an extended period. I just need to keep condensation and cleaning water from seeping in.

Here's mine. Done it back in May this year.

NewMashTun01_zpse428e9b4.jpg

NewMashTun02_zps9b136ea5.jpg

I etched the volume marks on there using the salt/vinegar method that was posted here. I haven't used it yet with the colder weather approaching, but during the summer I only lost 1 degree on the worst day.

Mine was a bit of work. The pot was the basic Bayou 10 gallon pot. I had to remove the liner inside and sand some of the insulation down until I could slide the pot into the cooler. It's just cheaper to replace the cooler, but I wanted something to last and not have to worry about the plastic warping/breaking over time.

I'm really surprised that a brand name stainless lined cooler isn't on the market. Northern Brewer has Tall Boys, Megapots, etc., so I'm surprised they aren't making a stainless lined mash tun cooler available. I would buy a 15 gallon if it were available.

There is a company in Germany that makes stainless coolers.... they are called thermoport's... there are threads here about them but they are hard to get in the states...
They even selling rebuild mashtuns made from them in Europe.

Peterock, WOW that is one hell of a mash tun! It looks like that insulation should keep the temp on that keg from dropping at all. What kind of heat loss, (if any), do you get on a 60min mash?
very interested in how you made it: care to share?

Thanks.
I've only used it once on a 10 gallon batch. It didn't lose any temp at all on a 60min mash at a 63ish degree ambient temp. I lost most of the build pictures but do have a few. I made a really tight fitting 3/4" thick Starboard ring that I siliconed on the underside to the keg. Then I wrapped it with 20gauge stainless steel, flipped it upside down and filled it with two part foam in a few stages. Then add a 1/2" flush bottom. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416601111.210562.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416601168.842976.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416601210.173302.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416601230.145510.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416601288.800995.jpgIf memory serves me right I believe it's around R-11 value.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just an update: The gasket made from silicone tubing worked great. It was extremely snug and a little tough to squeeze in but it's water-tight, flexible, and definitely not going anywhere.

Latest posts

Back