Easy bourbon aged vanilla cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csimmons21

Reaction score
Recipe is for a 4 gallon batch of "bourbon aged" hard cider

4 gallons of martinellis apple cider
1 teaspoon Pectic enzyme
1/2 packet of Nottingham
Half pound organic cane sugar
Half cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup maltodextrin - dissolved in warmed cider
1/2 teaspoon of tannins
Soak 10 medium oak chips in bourbon of choice for 2 weeks. I used a tuthiltown (sp?) charred oak stave but chips just as well.
2 vanilla beans

Add cider and enzyme to sanitized carboy. Add scraped vanilla beans, insides and all. Shake vigorously for 1 min.

What you can do for the sugar, syrup, and malto is heat a few cups of cider on the stove or microwave to warm it through to help dissolve the sugars and dextrin (dextrin adds mouthfeel).

Add the warmed solution to the carboy. Pitch a 1/2 packet of Nottingham (I like to make the yeast work, no need for a starter on this) and primary ferment for 2 weeks. Rack after 2 weeks into a sanitized carboy. Add bourbon soaked chips. Secondary age for 1.5 weeks. Rack off of chips and add oak aged bourbon (liquid you soaked chips in) to taste; you don't have to add more bourbon if you don't want too. Flavor will mellow over time. I then Aged this for 1 month in the carboy in a fridge and bottles using a half cup of pure maple syrup. I let the bottles carb for 5 days then stick them back in the fridge to halt the carbonation.

Smell is strong bourbon and vanilla with a smooth appley vanilla taste. Strong stuff that ages well.

Enjoy!

Ps, my gf added a cinnamon stick to half the batch. Came out amazing - just a thought

Latest posts

Back