Easy All Grain method I have settled on.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red04

Reaction score
I don't see it discussed much. But I have started no-sparge mashing with my Anova Sous Vide in a rectangular cooler with great results.

I bought a hole saw and cut a hole in my cooler lid to insert sous vide. I'm still using the steel braid for filtering, but If I were starting from scratch I would have bought a BIAB to fit my cooler.

Fill (or temporarily overfill to ensure sous vide gets submerged) with full volume (no sparge). Add water adjustments. Insert Sous Vide. About 2-3 hours in advance, set it to strike temp over the Wi-Fi from anywhere. Once it reaches temp, drain any water out if you needed to overfill. Remove Sous Vide and plug hole.

Toss in grain and stir. Mash for 30 minutes. I've been getting 75% efficiency since I started grinding myself. 60% efficiency with LHBS crush. Its also important to prop up one end of the cooler to get an extra 0.5 gallons to drain out.

I've also began reducing my boil times to 30-40 minutes.

If I spend 30 minutes measuring everything out, milling the grain, and set up sous vide the night before, I can cut my brew day down to 2-2.5 hours and it's not rushed at all. The 30 minute mash and boil gives you just enough time to clean and/or prep for the next steps.

Trying to get the strike temperature correct with a turkey fryer and a separate pot by over shooting the temp, then stirring down to strike temp, then adding grain, transferring, etc....is all eliminated. Set the sous vide to the nearest 0.1 degrees. It can stabilize the mash tun temp thoroughly as well. Additionally, I use the sous vide for cooking and thawing food for its intended purpose.

Interesting idea. I'm trying to think of a way to use the Anova to maintain my mash temperature throughout the mash.

The idea I had was that grinding finer speeds up the mash time. Also I only lose 1 degree over a full hour.

So mashing in 30 minutes I may lose 0.5 degrees.

Plus the Anova gets the entire cooler thoroughly heated throughout so I think it helps.

Just FYI, conversion happens very quickly so losing temp after 10-15m is a non-issue.
Getting unspecified flavor from grain is something longer mashes get you
Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with your 30m mash. I grind to flour with Corona mill and BIAB. @RM-MN has done lots more batches and advocates shorter mashes also.

Just FYI, conversion happens very quickly so losing temp after 10-15m is a non-issue.
Getting unspecified flavor from grain is something longer mashes get you
Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with your 30m mash. I grind to flour with Corona mill and BIAB. @RM-MN has done lots more batches and advocates shorter mashes also.

The experimenting I did showed that with very fine milling with a Corona style mill got me complete conversion very quickly but that the extraction of flavors took longer. The temperature matters for conversion but holding the exact temperature for flavor extraction isn't necessary. I don't advocate a mash period of less than 30 minutes but holding the temperature for 5 minutes will probably get your conversion.

Back