East Coast Style Wheat IPA Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have some wheat and sonnet golding hops I need to burn through, so I am thinking about making a hybrid beer that would be like a cross between American Style Wheat and East Coast IPA. Here is my loose plan...thoughts? The IBU I think will clock in around 40-45 and the original gravity will hit roughly 1.060

18 gallon batch

25 pounds pale
10 pounds wheat
2 pounds munich
1/2 pound C20
1/2 pound honey malt
1/2 pound biscuit malt
2 oz Chinook at FW
4 oz citra whirlpool
4 oz Amarillo whirlpool
4 oz sonnet goldings whirlpool
2 oz citra dry hop
2 oz Amarillo dry hop
4 oz sonnet goldings dry hop
mash at 110 for 30
mash at 125 for 30
mash at 154 for 30
Vermont IPA Yeast

looks tasty, but won't the biscuit throw the flavor off of the wheat too much? I'd do the identical recipie, but leave out the 3 different 1/2 lb malts. and why the 3 step mash rather than a single at 150-154 ish? just wondering, I've only done single temp mashes.

looks tasty, but won't the biscuit throw the flavor off of the wheat too much? I'd do the identical recipie, but leave out the 3 different 1/2 lb malts. and why the 3 step mash rather than a single at 150-154 ish? just wondering, I've only done single temp mashes.

I am hoping to highlight the biscuity flavor of the wheat and an overall "buscuits and marmalade" type of flavor or sensation with this beer. I brewed it a few days ago with a single infusion at 154 degrees instead of the step mash. Everything went well. Hit 1.060 OG and it is fermenting happily away at 65 degrees. Will add first phase of dry hops soon.

Back