easiest CO2 leak, anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbspindel

Reaction score
i've read threads and have got as far as finding the leak in my kegerator, taking the equipment apart, cleaning, putting plumbers tape on, reassembling, pressurizing, and STILL a leak! :drunk:

i've got my dual gauge running to 4 secondary gauges inside my kegerator. My leak is at one of the 4" pipes connecting 2 of the gauges. Like i said, i already took it apart, cleaned it, and put it back together as best i can. It's old equipment and i noticed some pitting on the tip of the threads, so cut off one whole thread, sanded it smooth, and reattached. I assume i'll have to buy a new connector thing, but i want to use the setup now to carb one of my beers for SWMBO to drink when she get's here (long distance relationship). It's a small leak, so i figured i'd just force carb, turning the co2 off when i'm not using it. Any fixes out there that don't require disassembly? anything i can just apply to the leak (without pressure of course) that might seal to hold a max pressure of 20 psi? :confused:

thanks.

mordantly,
i know where the leak is already. In this pic, its at the right connection between the 2 regulators. It seems to be a small leak. However, last night i forgot to shut off the co2 as planned, so it presumably leaked for 7 hours. The high pressure gauge hasn't changed though, or if so, very negligibly. Leaks won't seal themselves, will they?

assuming no, the question again is this: is there a way to seal a small leak without taking the equipment apart? glue? putty?

dsc01563b.jpg

Is it the thread on the pipe nipple or the regulator thread? You can get a hairline crack in the regulator thread if it was over tightened in the past. The pipe threads are tapered and over tightening will crack the bodies. If that is the issue you will never get a seal.

Try the gas teflon tape (yellow). Its thicker and seems to seal better for me.

how would i tell if it's the nipple or the regulator thread? would i be able to see a difference? my guess would be that if the regulator thread wasn't cracked before, it is now. i tried to tighten it pretty well to force a seal when i saw the leak. it was tight already and i probably gave it another half turn in total.

Back