Easiest(cheapest) way to cool the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guerillaboy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am on my third batch and its a chocolate oatmeal stout. I know I need to ferment this at about 65f (from what I have read.) My problem is I live in a very warm area (Las Vegas.). The bucket is currently standing at 75f (this is day 2 in the fermenter.). What is a good CHEAP way to get that temp down?

I want to try sanitizing 2 liter bottles, filling them with boiled water, freezing them and adding them to the hot wort. You can cut them out with a sanitized knife.:)

Here's mine:

4189-DSCF0002.JPG

I put a water bath in, add a frozen water bottle or two, and change them out as needed. It works great.

Like stated, swamp cooler. I use a cheap Rubbermaid-style tub with filled with water, and swap out frozen water bottles in the water bath.

I bought an old chest freezer on craiglist for 40 bucks and a temp controller for 80. It is fairly cheap and fairly easy and is the best solution, but an ice bucket is probably your best bet right now.

If you want to go really cheap a wet T-shirt will cool it down some But you need to change out the shirts often. But if you can swing the Swamp cooler that's the way to go.

Back