Easier Yeast Propagation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fromhereon

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone's got any tips/ideas for yeast propagation. The standard (make a new starter and step it up every day) is a little time consuming for just a 5 - 10 gallon batch.

I'd love to be able to propagate in a a single vessel and just keep adding fresh wort. I'm considering canning wort so I can keep adding more without having to make a new batch.

Anyone got any ideas?

you can crash, decant and add fresh wort. i dont see what the issue is

Make a bigger starter the first time and you won't have to keep stepping up.

You can also make more cells with less volume on a stir plate than without.

For a 5 gallon batch, I've never needed more than a 1.5L starter to get into the ballpark of my inoculation rate except with a few lagers and a barleywine And those were all 2L starters.

Adding additional wort to an already propagated starter is ineffective.

Think of it this way, you start with 100b cells and make a 1.5L starter and allow it to go for 24 hours. Let's say you get 250b cells at the end of that.

Now if you just add an additional .5L of wort, you're effectively doing the same thing as pitching 250b cells into a .5L starter, so you'll get virtually no growth.

If you want to increase the propagation rate after the initial 1.5L starter, you should do the following:

Cold crash your 250b cells

Decant off the starter wort

split them into 2 separate 1.5 L starters and put those each on stir plates.

Your lower pitch rate into these two separate starters will ensure higher growth rates. So instead of getting 350b cells in a single fresh 1.5L starter, you'll get 250b in EACH of your two new starters.

That being said, there's no reason to need that many cells for a 5 gallon batch. Unless you're making a ridiculously big beer, the ballpark of 220b will get the job done cleanly and efficiently.

Hope that helps and isn't too confusing!

I'm sorry. I missed a line in the original post. I meant propagation from a single colony. So I'm starting with about 10mL and working up.

Oh you can increase your yeast population by about 10x per step. So 10mL should be about 10-20billion cells (give or take a billion or five) so just use an online calculator that gets you from 10b to 100b and from there, you can pitch that into a 1.5 L starter and call it good

Edit: that's assuming your 10mL is a dense slurry which usually are between 1 and 4 billion cells per mL

Exactly. However the 10mL will not be be very dense since only a single colony will be going into it. Either way this still leave me having to make a bunch of starters.

Does anyone see a problem with going from 10 mL to 1.5L in one vessel by adding wort and decanting or centrafuging at the end.

Exactly. However the 10mL will not be be very dense since only a single colony will be going into it. Either way this still leave me having to make a bunch of starters.

Does anyone see a problem with going from 10 mL to 1.5L in one vessel by adding wort and decanting or centrafuging at the end.

I don't really know how many cells are in a single colony if yeast

Starting with 10mL then adding 100mL onto that, then adding 1.5L onto that should work fine, as long as you're always increasing the amount of wort you're adding with each addition substantially, it should work without an issue.

Back