Early Trub? or undissolved DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgyour25

Reaction score
First brew ever! It's a generic brown ale:

6.6 lbs Light Malt Extract
1/2 lb Caramel 60
1/4 Black Patent Malt
2 oz Fuggles (bittering)
1 packet Irish Ale yeast

Like I said, first brew so I had some issues with the wort. For example no steeping bag for the specialty grains (I just strained them out before continuing with the malt extract), and I didn't realize until too late that my 10 oz bag of Fuggles was only 1 oz... (wtf I'm a retard) so I was only able to add half the hops called for. I also decided to initially boil only 3.6 lbs of the extract and then add the rest at 5 minutes before knockout.

Anyway the point is, almost immediately after pitching the yeast I noticed a pretty thick (2-3 inch) layer of sediment on the bottom of the carboy. I figured it was too early to be trub so I swirled it up and let it be. Fermentation (currently at 20 hrs) seems to be running normally. Already developed some kraeuzen but that sediment layer is still there.

Should I be concerned? Should I enact emergency measures? Am I just being overly worried because it's my first brew?

Gsm's right it's normal. And you're being a paranoid new brewer. Your beer is hardier than you think it is. Everything that you are going to see and experience is going to be ugly, stinky, like nothing you've ever experienced before and utterly, perfectly, normal.

dgyour25 said:
Should I be concerned? Should I enact emergency measures? Am I just being overly worried because it's my first brew?

To answer your questions, no, no, and yes. It's just cold break - be sure to leave it behind when you rack, and you'll be all good.

Perfect. Thanks for such prompt responses guys. I guess cold break is a good sign anyway... it means no chill haze right?

Yes, a good cold break will help with chill haze but that does not mean that you may not experience one anyway.

Back