Early morning brew days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast636

Reaction score
Alright what all do you guys do the night before an early morning brew day, doing my first early morning brew tomorrow trying to get all in order for smooth sailing, guessing wash all gear and sanitize in the morning before brewing or just wash and sanitize in the morning. Already got my grain milled and brew sheet printed mash tun is ready, burner is setup, got a full bottle of gas, and got yeast going in a starter, anything I'm missing or over looking to get prepped?

I usually just knock all that out while the water is heating. Just make sure you have all your ingredients and gas. Have a good brew day! Cheers.

Yep checked everything over twice the wife got it all for me for Christmas thanks hope all goes as planed starting at 6am hopefully

Typically, the night before involves milling the grain and tending the yeast starter. If SWMBO did the cooking, I may also wash the pots and pans to clear the stove off so that I don't have to shuffle them around int he morning to get started. Sometimes, when I know that I want to get done real early, I will set up the brew kettles and measure out the water to save the 5 to 10 minutes in the morning.

My recipe sheet was printed out previously when I weighed out the grain, so I will review that just to get an idea of timing and when I have a chance to fit in other chores.

Dumb brewing assistant sleep till 8 this morning, guess he was exhausted from sleeping all day yesterday. So starting later then I wanted but not to bad ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388150026.666225.jpg

Didn't set an alarm because he always gets me up at 6 for bathroom and breakfast

I have the water ready for both the mash and sparge as well as my grains milled and mash salts measured. I can do everything else during the session

All the above and make sure your water and grain are up to room temperature. Drawing water and letting it sit over night gains me at least 30 degrees. If next to Ol' Potbelly it can be 100* plus. Getting it ready the night before is the best way to go. I don't weigh out hops until I'm into the boil, except for first addition of course.

Well brew day was a big fail, didn't even get to start brewing, we took the kid to day care and came home wife was going to take a nap and I was goin to brew. Well went to turn the Christmas light timer off on the roof so hoped up on trash can like I have before with no problems well not this time slid out and f'ed my leg up. Warning don't scroll down I you don't like blood
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388185108.120593.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1388185127.656964.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1388185140.170477.jpg

Last pic is me in deep thought about the name of the ipa I was going to brew and came up with 26 stitch IPA

Should be brewing Sunday can't bend it for 48 hours hurting like a biotch right now wish I could have some beer to help these pills work alil better lol

Well this thread took a slight turn from the title.
Love the name of the beer!
Sucks about the injury.

On topic: mash and sparge water in the kettle on the burner the night before.
Basically a mental walk through of the day to make sure I have all the equipment ready.
For me, the essence of my brew day revolves around the smell of coffee and milling the grains along with the hiss and sweet smell of propane.

Yea that's the crazy part last night got all my water and stuff out for the ready dropped the kid off and was about to brew after turning the lights off then that all happened

Back