Early harvest (Western PA), or garden problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Question:
Am I over-estimating the ripeness (e.g. "Brew ... you're crazy for thinking your hops would be ripe before July 4), or is this likely? Could it have anything to do with the weird Autumn weather we've been having?

Details:
Third year centennial and 2nd year cascade and EKG are acting up - the cones seem to be ripening abnormally early this year. There are already 1-2 browned cones on each plant. The rest seem to be getting pretty papery, and the cascade cones are about 1/2 the size i'd expect ... but they haven't grown much in a month or so. If it wasn't for the constant rain we've been having, I bet they'd be on the downslope

Note: that I trained the hops early this year instead of cutting back the first growth. They've probably on 8'-10' tall since mid-April.

I have two big Santiam plants with almost the same situation. They got big and I didn't bother trimming back what I should have. Lots of large cones on the verge of papery. I'm going to do a rolling harvest taking just whats ready.

That's exactly what mine look like - I plan on doing a rolling harvest as well. I just need to get my oast built first (sick of picking hop debris out of furnace filters).

I hope to get that done tomorrow AM and have everything picked by evening.

Would I be fine to freeze them fresh picked to do a full batch of fresh hop IPA after all are harveste? Or should I dry the earlier ones like usual never had to do a rolling harvest this spring and summer are nuts (I'm in central pa)

Before moving, I lived in Lancaster, PA. I had multiple years where I harvested my mature plants more than once in the same season. Take it as a good sign and start harvesting and maybe you can do so a second time. The commercial growers like to harvest once since it's a time consuming and expensive process. So that's where most of the "time frames" for hop harvesting come from. They also argue that they get larger hops by trimming the crowns early on and this also delays times and gives them an even growth cycle. I think for smaller home type growing, it's a non issue and I've been noting for years that there is no specific time that is good or bad. Simply go with the plant being ready or not.

beerloaf

Latest posts

Back