Missouri: Hops ready to harvest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
I live in st. louis Mo and have a second year cascade hop plant. it's on a small post and doesn't have much room to spread out. I there are are some cones that look like the might be ready to harvest (tips turning brown, lighter color, papery feel, bright glands) but it seems early. the first year i had them it was closer to september. i was wondering if it's typical to have a flush this early and then some later on. added some photos to help (can't figure out how to rotate them tho).

IMG_3726.jpg

IMG_3727.jpg

IMG_3728.jpg

fwiw, I've been growing for 6 years now and there have been early harvest years when all 15 plants were pickable a full 4 and 6 weeks early.

Really messed with summer plans when that happened.

Those look more than ripe. My rule is when the lupulin turns "school bus yellow" they are ready for the oast...

Cheers!

Ohio here - picked my second year Cascade and Chinook yesterday. I think I harvested in October last year.

Hoping for a second harvest in a few months. Lots of flowers on the plants.

Those look ready.

I'm also in St Louis, and mine (third year) are not even close to ready. But yours look good to go to me.

All the evidence you've shown indicates ready to harvest. Here is a surefire way to KNOW when the best time is. Get a magnifying glass or hand 'scope
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P8AUMU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20).
Look those lupulin right in the eye, and if they are all round like beach ball-good to go. Let them be if they are looking like red blood cells, slightly deflated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in STL too and I have full cones on one cascade plant and the beginnings of burrs and cones on the other cascade and a centennial. These are first year plants so I didn't know what to expect but it has been a weird growing season even for my veggie garden.
My hops aren't as tightly formed as yours are and they don't have that bright Lupulin yet either.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468355827.195365.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468355849.071632.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468355866.898385.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468355878.635478.jpg

Latest posts

Back