Early bottling question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

healimonster

Reaction score
I did not time the brewing of my last batch properly and it will not be finished in time for Thanksgiving. I would like to bottle one growler or half growler of my batch early and take it to my bothers for turkey day. Any guesses on how much sugar boiled into water would work for a quick carb of one growler?

I did not time the brewing of my last batch properly and it will not be finished in time for Thanksgiving. I would like to bottle one growler or half growler of my batch early and take it to my bothers for turkey day. Any guesses on how much sugar boiled into water would work for a quick carb of one growler?

I'm going to advise you not to try and do this because you can't rush carbonation. Also carbing in a growler is a bad idea as well because they aren't meant for pressurization. Your beer also benefits from the conditioning period (2-3 weeks) after bottling. If you are still intent on doing this however here is a link to a priming sugar calcualtor:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Are you talking about taking a beer that is at FG or one that is not done fermenting even? Either way, there is no such thing as quick carbonating any beer when using priming sugar. The yeast needs to eat the sugar and create co2 to carbonate. Under ideal conditions this still takes at least two weeks at 70F.

Even in the keg at force carbing it would take at least a couple days to be decent tasting. Go buy some good craft beer!

You'll likely create a bottle bomb besides,since it isn't done fermenting yet. Not to mention,green beer taste from not being done yet. I try to give 2 months time for holiday ready beer.

Hmmm this is a bad idea, especially in a growler. You didn't mention what kind of beer but at this point, if fermentation isn't done then adding priming sugar and putting it into a growler sounds like a recipe for a bottle bomb. There is no such thing as quick carbing in anything other than a keg system where you can force carb. You should never add more sugar to hurry along carbonation. However, since it sounds like you're bottling before anything is done fermenting and wanting to add sugar, carbonation will be quick and again, likely explosive.

What kind of beer? When did you brew? What is your anticipated final gravity and what is the gravity today?

Accept the fact you are not bringing that beer and buy a 12 pack of your choice at the store to bring....sorry. I had none to bring either so I am happy with fact that I will have PLENTY for Xmas!!!

Okay okay. You all talked me out of it. I will fill a growler with craft brew instead. I am pretty sure it has reached its final gravity but since I haven't tested it yet I would be speaking out of my arse. But I am not sure why everyone says you can't or shouldn't carb in a growler I do it all the time and I love it. I am not a glass expert but I would be dumbfounded if one of these things would crack any sooner than a regular bottle does. I have had regular bottles pop on me many times and I have never had a full size growler crack (I can't say the same thing about half growlers).

Back