E HTL First timer w/ photos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkness

Reaction score
Put this together for a friend that want's to go all grain and Half electric. We talked on sunday this is what I worked up monday. Test run today IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

Used a Sch 80 cpvc Bulk head fitting in 1 1/2in, with a 1 1/2 to 1 bushing reducer, and a 4500watt element on 110v to put out about 2200watt. It heated 8gal from 132deg to 164deg in 35 min. Not to bad might be faster if I had left the lid closed. :tank:

Looks very nice! I am curious, do you heat the water and then add the grains or heat the entire mash to your target?

That looks like a really simple way to brew. Heat the water, dough in, close the lid, wait an hour, drain, boil. I like it!

My only concern would be smacking that element around. I have not gone electric yet, how resilient are these things to getting hit?

Oh sorry guys I used a mash tun but only cause that was the only cooler I had. He will have a mash tun also. Wanted to build it so I put it in my mash tun. Now I have to set up a new mash tun just left the false bottom in. Thanks for the fees back!

This is pic of the first test run at my house. All conections will be coverd and protected but if it didn't work this guy dosent want to peel off ruber coatings so water test and power test then find out how long of a cord he needs and then Finnish it up. And thanks for the correct watt of 1100 that would make since why it took longer than I thought.

Keg; Coffee Stout, Applewood Smoked IPA, Bourbon Barrel Aged Black Imperal IPA,Irish Red
4 & 5 air
Primary 1-6: Sour 10gal Flanders Red
Secondary; Spanish Cedar Aged Heavy Brown, 9gal of my BB Black Imperial Aged

And since you didn't wire the ground to the water, I'll suppose you didn't used a GFCI plug, please do.

Back