e-HERMs Controller Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbr_brewer

Reaction score
Hey All,

This will be my first thread on HomeBrewTalk, and I did my best to search before posting my question! Nonetheless, I am piecing together my first e-HERMs setup and the big question mark in my budget right now is the controller. I am hoping to find a solid diagram to work through for a DIY controller. I know that PJ has some solid diagrams, but I haven't found one that matches my plans (doesn't mean it isn't out there). I suppose a brief description of my future setup might help.

Setup:
3 - 10 gallon Kettles
2 - 4500w Elements
2 - March Pumps

Planning to run mostly 5 gallon batches out of this with the occasional 7.5 gallon (if it can handle it).

Control Panel Desires:
-3 PIDs: Mash, HLT, Boil
- Pump Controls
- Safety Shut Off
- Key for master on/off

Here are some questions I have for the group and any additional insight would be appreciated!

First, has anyone pieced together a build starting with the ebrewsupply.com 2 PID DIY kit? (It looks like the wiring diagram can account for another PID for the Mash) Do they provide more detailed instructions than just the wiring diagram? I am no electrician, but I have followed other electrical DIY builds. I also have access to an electrician who I could bribe to give the system a once over before I plug it all in.

Are there any other build lists and diagrams for a similar panel?

Any other thoughts about control panels or DIY builds for the non-electrically inclined would be appreciated.

Ebrewsupply uses Kal's system as a muse; he has a bunch of information/drawings on his website.
I feel that his design is needlessly complicated but it looks good and works well.

If you aren't dead set on the large industrial style control panel you may want to check out the BCS-460 controller.
I was able to build in the functionality that you are looking for into the empty space of a breaker panel using this controller.

2015-03-29-112319-65379.jpg

I built a Kal Clone panel using the instructions on theelectricbrewery.com and I am very pleased with it. The directions on how to install, use and troubleshoot on his site are second to none. You can save some money by eliminating certain things in his panel like the amp and volt meters as well as the LED indicators for the PIDs but you are not really saving much $$$. I did modify the amp and volt meters in my panel by purchasing them from Auber since they do not need a separate power supply/converter. This saved quite a bit of space inside the panel. If I was to build another panel I wouldn't change a thing. One more thing to note/recommend is to buy as much of your gear from auberins.com as you can. Their stuff is high quality and the customer support you get from them is amazing.

brew setup.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, and both of you have great looking setups!

Mredge, I'm not well versed on the BCS controlled units but I will have to look into them. I have considered the HoseHead setup, but don't know if that is a similar or different technology? I have heard a few concerns with stability if you are running it through a wireless network.

Jeremy, my dream would be to have a Kal built or cloned panel like yours. Such an incredible set of features. However, my budget isn't setup for such an expensive design. My hope right now is to piece together something from ebrewsupply.com and source the PIDs from outside. Are you running Auberins? I was hoping to go with the MyPins but have heard they are somewhat hit and miss. I should probably cough up the addition $20-$30 per PID for the Auberins...

What are both of your thoughts on kettles vs keggles? I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. I noticed that Adventures in Home Brewing was running a sale on their used Keggles. But I will say I like the aesthetics of the kettles more, but don't appreciate the price tags! Hoping to start a build thread once I start getting things together.

Keggles will offer you more bang for your buck. They are much heavier with a thicker gauge SS than most kettles and will last a lifetime. 15.5 gallons is perfect for 10 gallon batches.
Kegs are 316 SS vs 304 or lower grade used in most kettles. Curved bottom is perfect for Whirlpool and offers better heat distribution when using gas burners. Lots of parts custom made for keggles, like false bottoms.

Downsides are that that they are indeed much heavier due to their construction. Curved bottom will not let you get the very last drop. Does require some DIY. Won't balance on small burners.

I wouldn't say going with mypins to save $50ish is a bad call. I have 3 of them between 2 rigs and have been pretty happy with them consistently. I have heard that the manual mode for boil is a little bit iffy but that is super easy to override with an analog knob of you can follow a diagram and own a soldering iron. Not sure I would go with March pumps if budget is a concern however

Appreciate the additional input!

I'm going to pick up two kegs tomorrow locally from Craigslist for $50 a piece! That's worlds cheaper than I would have spent on a 15 gallon kettle. Looking into polishing them now, sounds manageable once I move to my house.

Thanks for the input Riot, I could easily save $60+ going with Mypins, and that was my original plan. I also agree on the March pumps. I'm looking at Chuggers as well as those DC $20 Pumps from Amazon/eBay to hold me over until my funds get better. I've seen a thread on here about them that I need to look through more closely.

I've used those little DC pumps a bunch and love them. Even at 10+ gallons flow rate is pretty reasonable and you can't beat them for price point

Thanks for the comments, and both of you have great looking setups!

Mredge, I'm not well versed on the BCS controlled units but I will have to look into them. I have considered the HoseHead setup, but don't know if that is a similar or different technology? I have heard a few concerns with stability if you are running it through a wireless network.

Jeremy, my dream would be to have a Kal built or cloned panel like yours. Such an incredible set of features. However, my budget isn't setup for such an expensive design. My hope right now is to piece together something from ebrewsupply.com and source the PIDs from outside. Are you running Auberins? I was hoping to go with the MyPins but have heard they are somewhat hit and miss. I should probably cough up the addition $20-$30 per PID for the Auberins...

What are both of your thoughts on kettles vs keggles? I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. I noticed that Adventures in Home Brewing was running a sale on their used Keggles. But I will say I like the aesthetics of the kettles more, but don't appreciate the price tags! Hoping to start a build thread once I start getting things together.

I run Auberins for my PIDs and timer and they work great, I dont have any experience with the other PIDs so cant speak for them. If you are on a budget you could always grab an Auber EZ Boil its a two in one style PID that you could use to control your mash and boil with some creativity.
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=560
I use it for my boil controller and have been pleased with the way it functions.
As far as keggles you cant go wrong with them now with that being said one day I would like to convert to 20g pots starting with my boil kettle that way there is no worries on boilovers at all. Also about chugger pumps if you go with them I HIGHLY recommend the CENTER inlet pump over the other ones. I have one of each and the center inlet primes much easier consistently.

Panel.jpg

Jeremy, good to know about the pumps. I am hoping to find some awesome Black Friday sales so I can pick up some center inlet pumps, PIDs, etc., fingers crossed. Did you have any issues wiring up your panel? That is my biggest concern right now, I just don't want to get in over my head with that. Good news is I don't plan to have the build done until February so I have time to spend wiring in the evenings.

I also see that many of you are running your systems in a garage or work shop. That is my next consideration, I have a finished basement in the new house but would need to spend some money on an exhaust system. I may start in the garage so I can open the doors and vent that way, but with winter right around the corner the warm basement sounds nice!

I didn't have any real issues wiring up the panel but I am familiar with wiring and electrical. That also is a great reason to follow kals design it is all laid out in perfect order. If you source the parts yourself and take your time you can come in around 1000 bucks to build the panel. Hunt around on the auber website and amazon you may be surprised. You could also use his design as a template for a single controller build or do some searching on here for some PJ schematics. With electric brewing the one thing you shouldn't cheap out on is saftey no beer is worth dying for.

Thanks for the additional input Jeremy, I am heavily leaning towards picking up the ebrewsupply DIY kit, and sourcing my own PIDs, RTDs, and connectors. I think this might be the most cost effective avenue for me. Safety is paramount, and I don't plan to take any short cuts (hence my leaning towards a kit)! A work colleague of mine is married to an electrician, so hopefully I can utilize his knowledge and have him look over everything for me before I plug it in!

I do have a question regards Mypins, are most people using TA4s for the HLT and Mash Tun, and TD4s for the Boil? I know you are using Auberins Jeremy, anyone else able to chime in?

Appreciate all the help! Planning to do a build thread once things start coming together more.

I use a TD4, and found it satisfactory for both maintaining strike / mash temp, and for manually controlling the boil.

That said, you would save more money by foregoing the MLT PID and buying two of the Auber EZBoil controllers. If you've only got 2 elements you only need 2 PIDs, especially if cost is a factor in your build.

Edit:
Take this for what it's worth, but if I were in your shoes I would call Auber and talk to them about a modification to their BIAB Kit.
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=55&products_id=620

It's already a 30a control panel, all that would be left is to substitute a second EZBoil in the second opening, and incorporate a 3-way selector switch to limit power to one or the other element.

Latest posts

Back