E brew supply # 6 cu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwoodsbrewing

Reaction score
I am still deciding where I will purchase pid's for a control panel build I recently found a link to ebrew supply and have been browsing their line diagrams https://ebrewsupply.s3.amazonaws.com/schematics/30a-2E-BCS-Kit-2014.pdf I notice they have a #6 cu at the beginning of their diagram being that they are feeding one 5500 watt heat element and possibly a pump. I don't see the need. Code allows you to run #10 up to 40 amps so even at 80% of full load it's only 32 amps. Not to mention your breaker is rated at 30 amps. The most you should draw is 30 amps. I am open to being safe I just don't see the need for a no 6 copper. What am I missing

and code does not in general allow running #10 for a 40 amp circuit. there are some exceptions for motor circuit conductors but that wouldn't apply to electric brewing.

Dude that's a two element schematic. Both elements can be on simultaneously. Therefore, 50A.

How do you draw 50 amps from a 30 amp spa disconnect shown in the bottom left hand corner. And in the title block in the upper right hand corner. I have only been a electrician for 20 years. But I think it will trip every time . Unless they are smaller elements under 2800 watts if it was a 50 amp spa panel I would agree. The schematic I chose was for a two element 30 amp system so either it needs a 50 amp spa panel to do back to back batches or the #6 was from a different print that they copied

and code does not in general allow running #10 for a 40 amp circuit. there are some exceptions for motor circuit conductors but that wouldn't apply to electric brewing.

If your terminals are rated at 90 degrees and you use the right wire you can run #10 at 40 amps. You are correct it doesn't pertain to brewing and isn't something I would recommend and have only done a few times myself in industrial applications. But it can be done. I can't help it I look for flaws. But I still see no need for the # 6 copper

If your terminals are rated at 90 degrees and you use the right wire you can run #10 at 40 amps. You are correct it doesn't pertain to brewing and isn't something I would recommend and have only done a few times myself in industrial applications. But it can be done. I can't help it I look for flaws. But I still see no need for the # 6 copper

per the nec, #10 awg conductors are limited to use with no greater than a 30 amp overcurrent protective device (except for a few funky applications like motor circuits). so while it can physically carry 40 amps without damage, code does not allow it. you can take advantage of the higher ampacity for derating purposes (e.g. high ambient temp or excessive conductors in a single raceway) but the conductor cannot be used on a breaker/fuse rated greater than 30 amps. and agreed #6 is excessive for a 30 amp panel, that is a typo on the diagram you linked. i've noticed a few of those types of errors in the ebrew diagrams.

and good luck finding breaker terminals for applications under 1000 v rated at 90 degree c. i have never seen them and don't believe anyone manufacturers them.

Clearly this schematic is wonky. Heck, the single breaker leading to the two elements will be a limiter alone. The SSRs are driven from the BCS controller. Now there is nothing limiting both SSRs from being turned on at the same time, other than ladder logic, perhaps. But one should never trust software to provide safety/protection such as this.

This schematic needs correction.

Back