Dwarf Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't disagree with you. If you have the capacity to order and receive the plant material, by all means do so! I'm just saying, it shouldn't surprise you that excellent genetics tend to "wind up" in other places sometimes.

Indeed. I've worked in a few greenhouses and in the horticultural industry patents are also common. Are they always respected? Doubtful. But that's just part of the game, they don't rely on absolute propagation control to make their money. The way the hops industry does it is rather peculiar in my opinion. But I guess their marketing schemes only make sense when one considers all that massive amount of money behind it.

Taking public germplasm and releasing it privately raises it's own share of ethical issues though.

DWARF HOP SPECIES WATED!!
I am waiting on some preMa donna hops coming from England this fall but in the mean time I want to put it out there once it cools off i would like to source some dwarf hops ..

I'm looking to trade for any varieties of hops other folks don't have for some good the dwarf lineage.

I've had plants flower at a mere 1m of height, but otherwise, lacking any trellis worth mention, I'm having a hard time telling which seedlings would qualify as "dwarves" or not. :p

Should be able to tell from the internode distance, no?

Should be able to tell from the internode distance, no?

You'd think, but I'm getting the impression my pots are screwing around with that, because there's a huge amount of variation, both among offspring of dwarf cultivars and among non-dwarf cultivars.

That sucks. Either you need a bigger field or a PCR machine... :)

Both would be nice, bigger field would be a good first step though, since I wouldn't have a clue how to use a PCR machine.

With time, with time... I'll either prep more space, or cull more specimens so that I have more space for each. 'till then, I'd like to have some dwarves, but it's not my highest priority, and with the number of dwarf F1s I have, I reckon I have those alleles in my population one way or another.

Using a PCR machine is kinda like using a Grainfather or similar - follow a recipe, measure out some ingredients, then programme a temperature profile. Only difference is that you're doing it in 20 microlitres and not 20 litres - and you don't get beer at the end of it. :)

Ha, I've never used a grainfather either. Extract/partial mash is so simple. Household kettles, electric oventop, cheap plastic buckets, minimal waste... Who'se got time for sparging? I don't! Too busy making more cuttings of my seedlings and prepping more imports! Just throw that extract into that water, add in hops and fancy stuff, and voilà! Like making mead! And making more is easy, just gotta use a few more buckets. :p I think I could brew about 100 gallons at a time with my cheapo setup, as long as it's mostly extract and doesn't require too many adjuncts or crystal malts.

Pairs well with my cheapo trellis.

a precision on my First Gold/ Prima Dona, even adult, it does not exceed 2.5 meters high, it produces many liana and it gives a bush effect

Back