Duvel clone 2nd stage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oligarchy

Reaction score
making a duvel clone, calls for a second stage with lb of belgian candy and fresh repitch of yeast

have 2L WPL530 starter going

primary is at 72-76, kept it mid 60s for a week, upper 60s for a few days, now low-mid 70s for a few days, still chugging along

do it cut it off now and go to 2ndary? recepie called for 2ndary after 7 days, but the fermentation was so strong at day 7 i didnt want to mess with it.

Its currently putting off a big belch of air in the lock every 11 seconds.

should i put in secondary now or let it ferment out?

I'm not sure I can answer you. but the 2ndary with candy and fresh yeast is probably because most of the yeast gets left behind in the racking. Of course if it is still going with active primary and you add the sugar (with or without the racking) you might not need the 2nd pitch of yeast. Did the recipe say 'rack at day 7 with Gravity 1.015' or similar? if so, follow the gravity recomendations.

Doesnt have any gravity details

just Day 7- Rack to secondary, add Beglian Candi and fresh pack of yeast.

seems pointless to wait for the yeast to stop and then rack because likely the Alch% is too high so the new yeast and sugar is a waste.

but i also read WPL530 is sensative, so worried about racking and having it shut down.

I took a look at the recipe for duvel at the candisyrup site (posted for your convience). What I read before about their recomendations are to add the syrup/sugar at flamout for most recipes on the site, and it looks like they did that here. I guess what I'm thinking is take the gravity, add the syrup and replace the airlock and let it go for a few more days. (gravity reading so you know if you are done later.) Syrup will probably add 32 points, which in 5 gallons works out to about +.006 gravity.

if you are concerned about disolving, put out into a sanatized pot some beer and put the syrup with it and gently stir until it is disolved and then pour back in.

do you have an OG and an expected FG?

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/belgian_tripel_-_duvel_variation_005x.pdf

I took a look at the recipe for duvel at the candisyrup site (posted for your convience). What I read before about their recomendations are to add the syrup/sugar at flamout for most recipes on the site, and it looks like they did that here. I guess what I'm thinking is take the gravity, add the syrup and replace the airlock and let it go for a few more days. (gravity reading so you know if you are done later.) Syrup will probably add 32 points, which in 5 gallons works out to about +.006 gravity.

if you are concerned about disolving, put out into a sanatized pot some beer and put the syrup with it and gently stir until it is disolved and then pour back in.

do you have an OG and an expected FG?

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/belgian_tripel_-_duvel_variation_005x.pdf

OG- 1.07 i believe, off the top of my head dont know the estimated FG

very similiar to this persons Duvel
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/duvel-clone-89384/

also just realized the HBS for some reason said the WPL match to the Wyeast i wanted was 530, their Abbey Ale, when the should have been 570...530 is described as high gravity so i might just give my starter a full 48 hours and then go to secondary.

Back