Basement too cold - CellarScience Cali Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
I re-started brewing recently now that I have a nice basement after we moved to Rhode Island, and brewed BCB Haus Pale Ale around 6 weeks ago with Nottingham yeast, which was delicious. After, I did a lager, which the basement temperature of 49-50F was perfect for. Yesterday, I brewed the Russian River Hill2 Row 56 Clone, and pitched the re-hydrated Cali Ale yeast at around 65F. It has been pretty damn cold these past few days, so after 24 hours it had not taken off yet, and my ambient temperature was reading about 48F. My hope was that it would take off in the lower end of the range and chug along, creating heat and fermenting in the mid-60s. I decided to bring it upstairs because my house is around 66F. It has now been 24 hours post-pitch with no visible fermentation activity. My assumption is the yeast will wake back up once the wort gets back up in the mid-60s. Just confirming this sounds like a decent plan? Thanks for all the help!

The fermenter thermometer said 65F when you pitched? What was the temp on the fermenter when you moved it upstairs? That yeast is listed for optimum 59-72 at Morebeer. The basement seems too cold for it but I haven't used that yeast. It'll probably warm up and get started upstairs soon.

A heating wrap provides nice control for ales at that cellar temp. That's what I do in the winter in my basement.

The fermenter thermometer said 65F when you pitched? What was the temp on the fermenter when you moved it upstairs? That yeast is listed for optimum 59-72 at Morebeer. The basement seems too cold for it but I haven't used that yeast. It'll probably warm up and get started upstairs soon.

A heating wrap provides nice control for ales at that cellar temp. That's what I do in the winter in my basement.
I use a sterilized digital thermometer as I am cooling, so i transferred to the carboy when it hit 65F. The stick on thermometer on the side of the carboy read 50F, and I also tape a digital thermometer to the carboy, which read 49F when I transferred it upstairs. So yes, colder than ideal. I am trying to brew with the seasons and not use temperature control (mostly because I am a lazy-ish brewer, and this seems to wrk for me), so I probably won't use the thermal jacket thing, but i have heard it works well. Next time I will pitch the yeast when the temperature is more like 70F and let it slowly come down as the yeast start to become active, thereby raising the temperature within the fermentation. We'll see!

The heat from the fermentation is only about 4-5 degrees difference. It won't hold in that yeast's range with the temperature of the cellar at 50F. Plus the temperature will fall off after the initial burst. When I say a heating pad, I do mean with a controller and to me that's easier than moving around a fermenter! Just saying, not a big investment but everybody brews different,

The heat from the fermentation is only about 4-5 degrees difference. It won't hold in that yeast's range with the temperature of the cellar at 50F. Plus the temperature will fall off after the initial burst. When I say a heating pad, I do mean with a controller and to me that's easier than moving around a fermenter! Just saying, not a big investment but everybody brews different,
Yeah you are totally right! It is the first time having to deal with temperatures too low as I am from California (and San Diego, most recently) and have always had to deal with ways to decrease the temperature, not increase!

I was trying to do the same thing in spring with ales myself but my cellar was warmer but it wasn't quite warm enough still. Decent temp for lagers, if you get them started well although they might be slow. You could do they opposite for too warm lager temps and maybe use some hot water bottles instead of ice if needed for a boost. I ended up using a seedling warming pad in the spring with controller. My regular temp controller was in use and the seedling one was not. It can be used for dual use but starts at 68F, so only works for ales.

The name is escaping me at the moment but springtime you could maybe do a lower temperature ale, steamboat maybe? Anchor Steam is one example.

Yeah you are totally right! It is the first time having to deal with temperatures too low as I am from California (and San Diego, most recently) and have always had to deal with ways to decrease the temperature, not increase!

I spent a few years on the central coast (Now back in Pa) and I had the same issue, raising temps is so much easier, adding the heat mat should work. I’d be curious to see what your basement is at in the summer, I’d think it would be in the 60’s which is a great temp for most beers.

Back