Duotight ball disconnects - experiences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know of a tool I can use to unscrew the cap when disassembling the disconnects?

Its supposed to be done by hand, but sometimes its just not possible with sticky build up.

Generally I'm able to gently use a needle nose pliers, but that even sometimes doesn't work.

Its annoying they didn't make these caps functional with a wrench or screwdriver

@Bobby_M any suggestions?

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a tool I can use to unscrew the cap when disassembling the disconnects?

Its supposed to be done by hand, but sometimes its just not possible with sticky build up.

Generally I'm able to gently use a needle nose pliers, but that even sometimes doesn't work.

Its annoying they didn't make these caps functional with a wrench or screwdriver

@Bobby_M any suggestions?
Wrap the cap in a piece of cloth, not too thin, not too thick, and use a pair of channel locks. You don't want the teeth contacting the cap through the cloth. This can be done with brass fittings or if you have a pipe nipple without a hex portion. Generally works but sometimes a slip may create scratches so go slow and make sure the grip is solid.

I just use regular old pliers if they're really stuck. If they're stuck worse than that, it's possible you're over-tightening them. Most of the time I can palm them with my shirt over them. I only finger tighten and haven't had any leaks. (YFMV. Your fingers may vary.) In my experience, most people overtighten most things if they are physically able.

Is this on liquid or gas? I don't use the liquid ones for lines, only transfers etc. I also disassemble to clean every time. Maybe my usage doesn't produce the sticking.

I just use regular old pliers if they're really stuck. If they're stuck worse than that, it's possible you're over-tightening them. Most of the time I can palm them with my shirt over them. I only finger tighten and haven't had any leaks. (YFMV. Your fingers may vary.) In my experience, most people overtighten most things if they are physically able.

Is this on liquid or gas? I don't use the liquid ones for lines, only transfers etc. I also disassemble to clean every time. Maybe my usage doesn't produce the sticking.
Both liquid and gas. I'd say it happens 1/5 times. I generally am careful on most of my kegging gear as not to overnighten as not to strip threads

Wrap the cap in a piece of cloth, not too thin, not too thick, and use a pair of channel locks. You don't want the teeth contacting the cap through the cloth. This can be done with brass fittings or if you have a pipe nipple without a hex portion. Generally works but sometimes a slip may create scratches so go slow and make sure the grip is solid.
Thanks. Wouldn't it make so much more sense if the just had a flathead slot like the CMBs or could take a spanner wrench like their carbonation caps

Thanks. Wouldn't it make so much more sense if the just had a flathead slot like the CMBs or could take a spanner wrench like their carbonation caps
I'd definitely support a change to hex lids. @KegLand have you considered a 12mm or w/e outer hex on the DuoTight QD lids? (Maybe there's a reason this is harder than it seems?)

I think these disconnects are fine. My biggest gripe with them is that they don't come with retaining clips from the factory. I lost a 20# CO2 tank and dumped a whole keg of seltzer into my keezer (carbstone dip tube). Because the tube popped out of the connector. So here is a printable clip for anyone who needs it.
https://www.printables.com/model/778248-95mm-duotight-retaining-clip

The retainer clips are fine to use, but FYI you can "set" the teeth into the EVA tubing by giving a gentle pull on the tubing once you have it fully seated. It's kind of like setting the hook when you get a bite fishing.

Last edited:
I think these disconnects are fine. My biggest gripe with them is that they don't come with retaining clips from the factory. I lost a 20# CO2 tank and dumped a whole keg of seltzer into my keezer (carbstone dip tube). Because the tube popped out of the connector. So here is a printable clip for anyone who needs it.
https://www.printables.com/model/778248-95mm-duotight-retainin
Not worth the trouble, so cheap to buy ?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....new_all_items_2007599352852.1005003091187189

The retainer clips are fine to use, but FYI you can "set" the teeth into the EVA tubing by giving a gentle pull on the tubing once you have it fully seated. It's kind of like setting the hook when you get a bite fishing.
Sorry for the double post. I did try that initially. However this fitting blew the tubing all the way out. I think i just fell into a bad range of tolerance stack between the eva barrier tubing and this particular fitting. Of the 5 disconnects I bought only one gave me grief. But it got clips on all of them just in case.

Back