Dunkelwiezen - My FG is stuck at 1.020...Please Help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ray85374

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a new brewer and working on my first brew which is a Dunkelweizen. I used the Brewer's Best recipe kit which went pretty straight forward. I am using a starter's kit where at this stage I have only used a Fermenting Bucket, hydrometer, thermometer and clear airlock that plugs into the lid at this point.

The only thing I did not do after tightly sealing the fermenter is putting it in a tub of water and draping a towel around it to keep the Temp down. I saw the bubbling stop about three days ago, it began bubbling a little after that now to a complete stop. I pulled the lid and checked the sample and it read 1.022. Just an hour ago (3 days later) I got a reading of 1.020.

The timeframe in which all of this occured is last Sunday up to the following Saturday. I also want to make sure I am not jumping the gun, either. I just feel the FG would have been closer to the suggested final gravity of 1.010 - 1.015.

I called my local Brewing and Fermentation retailer and their opinion was to leave it and begin bottling since repitching will unlikely bring down the FG from 1.020. I also called up a friend of mine who felt that might be alright but to get a few extra opinions before I go bottling anything up.

If anyone can please give me their opinion on what to do I would appreciate it. The sooner the better so I can run off to the retailer to buy some yeast if i need it.

Thank you all in advance...:confused:

Yes it was made with an LME which came included in the Brewer's Best recipe.

Well I have already bottled the brew and set it for three weeks. If I have any questions from there, I will thread again. Thanks for the help!

You read a 1.022 and a few days later read a 1.020? If you're getting a change in your reads then you're still fermenting. I wouldn't rack that beer until you can pull the same reading three days apart.

Latest posts

Back