Dunkelweizen Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gman2

Reaction score
I began an AHS Dunkelweizen ( http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=325 )about a month ago and it has been trouble from the start. I hit the OG dead on, but the origional yeast (danstar munich german wheat) did not begin the fermentation, so i went to the LHBS after 4 days and got a pack of yeast (I forget the brand) and repitched. It fermented well, and I made the mistake of transfering it to my second after a week of fermentation. I did not take the SG but I figured it was finished and I needed my primary for my next beer.

After a week in the second to clear I checked the FG abd it is about 1.020. I waited 2 days and it is still the same. It smells and tasted sour and leaves a really bad after taste.

I needed my second for fruit for my wheat so I transfered my wheat beer into my second and racked the Dunkelweizen back into my primary dierctly onto the trub and yeast cake (nottingham) in hopes that it would kick the yeast back into action.

To make a long story short (er), I know I should give it more time, and I should bottle it, but has anyone done this with yeast? I figured the beer was already messed up and that I may as well give it a try. Any thoughts?

Which version of the kit did you do? It's very common for extract kits to get stuck around 1.020. You also don't need/want to clear a dunkelweizen. As for the bad smell/taste... is it sulphury? Hefeweizen yeast, like the one you originally pitched, commonly throw off sulphur for a while, but it will off gas if given some time. I wouldn't be suprised if the yeast you originally pitched started working, despite repitching with soemthign else.

When you racked the beer back to the yeast cake, were you very careful to not introduce air into it? It sounds like this beer has been going about 2 weeks now? I'd leave it another 2 before bottling it.

I used the extract kit. I was sure the first batch of yeast was not working because I got the same SG reading for 4 days.

The taste is a little like sulfar, but a little like sour apples. I have been making sure not to introduce any air to the beer from the start.

I will give it a few weeks on the yeast cake and see what happens. I was also curious because my wheat beer was at 1.02 when I added in the fruit, but I am not as concerned about that because it is a made up receipe and it is still fermenting like crazy with the fruit, so another 3 weeks and i can bottle it.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Back