Dunkelweizen (kinda)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake-k

want another? Yip
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Going to try and clone, or rather inspired by a microbrewery beer I've had. After some poking and prodding from TXcrash and zuljin on another thread I think I've come up with a plan. Like the formentioned stated, its wheat ain't it. Let me know what you think. Cereal mash steps listed below.

5# raw durum
2.5# pilsner
2#munich
1#vienna
.5# c-40
.5# c-80

Big handful rice hulls

.5oz tett @60
.5oz sazz @60

Cereal mash 2qt/lb all 5#wheat with 1# pilsner 140 degree 20min, raise to boil add to main mash, and hold temp 152 for 60 min. Batch sparge 170 for 10 min to get 7.25 gallons wort.

60 min boil

OG 1.054
FG 1.012

Abv 5.85
IBU 14.86
SRM 14.5

So that's the plan!!!!!

Just not completely sure of the cereal mash temp. For raw wheat, I've read 136-147. I'm not sure (because I have never done this) what the differences in temperature, so I'm picking middle of the road.!?

For a more authentic dunkel, reduce the crystal malts and add 1/4 pound of midnight wheat or caraffe. Both of these will add color with a lot of flavor impact, and what you get from them will be good, helping to balance some sweetness of the other malts.

Note: obviously, authenticity is your choice.

Last edited:
I brewed this up today and it went pretty well. I was stressing a little bit over the whole cereal mash but went well with the exception of temp a little higher than I was trying for. Ended up cereal mashing around 147 degrees. As the cereal mash was going, I mashed in the main mash at 124 for twenty min. Raised cereal mash to boil and added to main mash. Temp was up around 162, added quart and a half cold water and brought it right down to 154. Mashed for 45 min and batch sparged. Overshot my boil volume by about a half gallon so went with 75 min boil. Volume in fermenter 5.5 gallons. Samples tasted excellent but missed final gravity by a tad. Shooting for 1.054 and ended up at 1.051, so not to shabby. All in all, I'm tentatively calling this a success. Can't wait for the finished product..

Latest posts

Back