Dumping my batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A real man wouldn't filter it, just strain it through your teeth as you drink it. ;)

Hell I eat more bugs while mtn or road biking during an evening ride. :rockin:

A real man wouldn't filter it, just strain it through your teeth as you drink it. ;)

Hell I eat more bugs while mtn or road biking during an evening ride. :rockin:

I didnt strain it as well. The bugs don't worry me, its the nasty stale tap water that is giving me the creepers.

i am also more worried about the water...

can anyone tell me the effects it can have? it was about 2-4oz that got into my fermenter. it was tap water thats been sitting around for 3 weeks.

If you can detect 2-4oz of pickle juice in 5 gallons of beer I'll give you $5 (Canadian).

Speaking of which, if you were Canadian, 4 "good" bottles is pretty much your break even point versus store bought beer.:D

You're good.

The fact of the matter is that beer is a resilient creation and, as such, is far more difficult to ruin than you really think. The 2-4 oz that made it back in will likely not negatively affect the bottled beer in any way, though the slim possibility does exist.

For purposes of discussion, what style did you brew? More heavily hopped beers and those weightier in alcohol are considerably more resistant to spoilage from bacterial or wild yeast contamination; the hops act as natural antimicrobials and alcohol is pretty inhospitable.

If your batch does become infected (gushing when opened, a very thin body, tastes unpleasantly sour or musty) consider it part of the learning curve and get that next batch going. Infections at the bottle can happen, but usually because the bottles themselves weren't cleaned and sanitized.

The fact of the matter is that beer is a resilient creation and, as such, is far more difficult to ruin than you really think. The 2-4 oz that made it back in will likely not negatively affect the bottled beer in any way, though the slim possibility does exist.

For purposes of discussion, what style did you brew? More heavily hopped beers and those weightier in alcohol are considerably more resistant to spoilage from bacterial or wild yeast contamination; the hops act as natural antimicrobials and alcohol is pretty inhospitable.

If your batch does become infected (gushing when opened, a very thin body, tastes unpleasantly sour or musty) consider it part of the learning curve and get that next batch going. Infections at the bottle can happen, but usually because the bottles themselves weren't cleaned and sanitized.

I brewed a Saison. Its a very light beer (naturally Saison's are light). OG 1.040 - FG 1.006 and not strong on the hop side, especially since I did a partial-boil and topped off with too much water (i think).

This was my first brew and just another addition to the list of newbie mistakes that I made.

Note... the reason water that's sat for a while tastes stale is because it becomes deoxygenated. If you put that same water in a jug with lots of airspace and shook it up, it would taste fresh. So that water (other than the bugs and whatnot that may have landed in it) is probably better for your beer than water fresh from the tap.

Note... the reason water that's sat for a while tastes stale is because it becomes deoxygenated. If you put that same water in a jug with lots of airspace and shook it up, it would taste fresh. So that water (other than the bugs and whatnot that may have landed in it) is probably better for your beer than water fresh from the tap.

thanks for that, that's a really interesting piece of information.

When I first started brewing, I made a pale ale. During clean up, I found that the tip of my spring loaded bottle filler contained the remains of a dead beetle that had somehow crawled all the way down the tube. I decided to just see how it turned out.

It was fantastic. I was very proud of my "Dead Beetle Pale Ale". I didn't share it with too many folks for fear of beetle chunks in the bottle, but I was not worried about drinking it myself. The alcohol environment prevents anything bad from being in there. Good stuff!

RDW, and bottle that home brew! Perhaps poor it through a screen mesh to filter out any of the bugs?

Wow, if a few dead bugs worries you, you might be horrified about how many end up in my wort just during a regular brew day when boiling out on the patio! And even with all that, you might not believe how much dog hair ends up in the wort, and finished beer. I try so hard, but having three maniac dogs just means there is hair in the air and there isn't a lot I can do about it.:p

5G of finished beer is a lot of beer. Even if you got a half dozen little bugs into the beer, when you're bottling, your bottles will be getting mostly bug-free/sediment free stuff anyway. You might have a few bottles that have some crud, but often times that is how it goes.

You wont even notice whatever might have ended up in the beer. In my eyes, it's always better to follow through and finish what you've started on the [good] chance that it'll turn out fine. If it doesn't work out, so what? Use the beer for cooking and a learning experience.

I would have continued bottling. Yeah it would have irritated me but oh well. Drink up and let us know how it turns out.

thanks for all the explanations and support guys.

I did continue to bottle and i bottled 37 bottles...we'll see how they turn out

well..today is exactly 1 week from bottling.

I put a bottle in the fridge last night and will come to drinking it later tonight.

The bottles look very VERY hazy and it looks like condensation inside where the air space is..

hopefully its not infected....wish me luck.

If it tastes nothing like you hoped it would, it's probably because it's only a week old.

i just want to make sure it doesn't taste infected. I've tasted the hydro samples, so I know what its suppose to taste like when its green.

I am also doing this because i want to taste it every week for 3 weeks to see how it progresses, so I know for myself how beer works.

but thanks for the friendly reminder :)

I love you guys !!

Thanks so much for convincing me to keep bottling it. I just tried a bottle...and well..it tasted delicious.. a bit light in body, but it carbed up real nice...even after just 1 week. smells like a saison, but taste more like a blonde.

here are a few pics.

beeer009-1.jpg

beeer010-1.jpg

I brewed a Saison. Its a very light beer (naturally Saison's are light). OG 1.040 - FG 1.006 and not strong on the hop side, especially since I did a partial-boil and topped off with too much water (i think).

This was my first brew and just another addition to the list of newbie mistakes that I made.
Your first beer ever was a saison . . . AWESOME!

I would guess that the fruit flies are good for your beer ;). I have heard that fruit flies are carriers of wild yeasts. Saisons with crazy yeasts, brett, and some sour and fruity profiles are pretty common, maybe even the norm. It was often openly fermented farmhouse ale . . . filled with fruit flies and the like.

You are good to go.

Your first beer ever was a saison . . . AWESOME!

I would guess that the fruit flies are good for your beer ;). I have heard that fruit flies are carriers of wild yeasts. Saisons with crazy yeasts, brett, and some sour and fruity profiles are pretty common, maybe even the norm. It was often openly fermented farmhouse ale . . . filled with fruit flies and the like.

You are good to go.

heheh I know...like i said to my friend...at least i'll have a *true* farmhouse ale..hehehe :ban:

Back