Dumping 5L of concentrated wort into 18L of cold water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemontato

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering about what I could improve in my beer and thought about maybe making some changes in my water, now I was wondering about this:

Since I gotta make changes to the water itself, it would be sitting in my primary fermenter while waiting for the concentrated wort. The recipe though calls for 4L of cold water in primary, then pour the concentrated wort, and then fill to 23L.

Would it matter much if instead I just filled to 18L in primary, added what I need for my water to have the right ppm of everything, and then poured the concentrated wort? Is it because the speed of temperature change would be too great or am I free to go?

By concentrated wort, I assume you are talking kits? If you are boiling the concentrated wort, then before you start playing with your water you should try doing full wort boils. 23L is more of a pain to boil , but it will almost certainly make a noticeable difference in the quality of your beer.

By concentrated wort, I assume you are talking kits? If you are boiling the concentrated wort, then before you start playing with your water you should try doing full wort boils. 23L is more of a pain to boil , but it will almost certainly make a noticeable difference in the quality of your beer.

What do I need to purchase apart from a bigger pot and a wort chiller?

Also, which wort chiller and what type of pot should I look into buying?

Thanks!

What do I need to purchase apart from a bigger pot and a wort chiller?

Also, which wort chiller and what type of pot should I look into buying?

Thanks!

A propane burner is probably necessary, unless you can bring 20 or so litres to a boil on your stove. I use one like this from Reno Depot http://www.renodepot.com/en/cooker-propane-gas-outdoor-cooking-appliance-1718031 not too expensive and works well. As for the wort chiller, I would suggest making your own. There are many threads on here about how to do it.

I don't know what the tax rate is in Quebec, but your price for a 72k BTU there is generally less than we pay for a 55k BTU outdoor burner.
If you can find a used turkey fryer for $20.00 or so, you will probably get a large pot along with the burner. If you upgrade to a larger pot, maybe 40 liter or so, now you have an extra pot, that was basically free

Back