Dumped starsan yeast in bottom of fermenter not water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigtwins

Reaction score
I think I screwed my yeast. Racked beer off the yeast cake and kegged 10 gallons. I had a growler full of boiled cooled water and one full of starsan. I poured about 1/2 of the growler of starsan on the yeast cake before I realized that it was not the water. My question is will the yeast be ok? I did add the water to dilute it. Just wanted to get some input on this.

It might have killed some of the yeast, maybe all. I don't know how effective those amounts would be in killing off large amounts of yeast.

Maybe make a small batch of wort, a half gallon or so and rack it on top of that cake. Basically making a big test starter. Add airlock and see what activity you get.

One way to find out. After you harvest the yeast, take some DME and make a starter.

EDIT: Max beat me to it. If it doesn't work, you're only out $6 for a new smack pack.

Bummer! Not sure how fast or effectively that Starsan kills yeast cells. Diluting it as much as possible will help somewhat, but not sure how much. 10x maybe?

Then you'll need to let it flocculate out or cold crash to re-harvest, followed by making a good starter.

Bummer. Add it to the list of knucklehead things you/we all do from time to time. Keeps brewing interesting for sure.
If you aren't in the habit of having yeast backups at all times this will help you remember. I brew 10 gallons at a time so I keep 2 sachets of S-05 and S-04 backups all the time.

Thanks for the replies. I diluted it with 1.5 gallons of boiled , cooled water. Will make up some wort from DME and see if it takes off.

Thanks for the replies. I diluted it with 1.5 gallons of boiled , cooled water. Will make up some wort from DME and see if it takes off.

After you've let the yeast settle and poured or siphoned off all the water and Starsan.

Cold crashing will speed up this process.

After you've let the yeast settle and poured or siphoned off all the water and Starsan.

Cold crashing will speed up this process.

Exactly what I did. Made up 2 liters of started wort and added it to 3 qt mason jars that I used to divide the slurry. Guess time will tell if it works or not.

Back