Dumb Question...Unmilled (Base Malts Only)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhblake

Reaction score
So i have a dumb question....... I just ordered a Barley crusher last night so needless to say I am VERY excited to start milling my own grain when I purchasing my next ingredients becasue of the freshness factor ect (is that strange to be so excited??? :cross:) so my question is, I was about to order a couple kits on MoreBeer but noticed that is says Unmilled (Base Malts Only), does this mean that the specialtly grains are already pre crushed and only the base malts are not? yes i am aware that base malts make up the majority of most grain bills but just wondering if someone could explain exactly what Unmilled (Base Malts Only) mean? sorry if this question is out of bounds stupid. :confused:

That's not a dumb question at all- it sounds very confusing.

When you order, you can put in the comments section "all grains uncrushed" and they should come that way.

The other thing you might consider is requesting that the grains be packaged separately. It gives you the option to do some last minute tweaks to your recipe. Or possibly do things like adding dark grains later in the mash. Not necessary, but something to think about.

Yes, that's what they mean. I ordered a couple all-grain kits from them (because I wanted the recipes, and because I didn't didn't want to pay shipping for a pound of chocolate wheat malt for a Stone VE 03.03.03 clone) and selected their "unmilled" option. For each kit, I got a 10 lb bag of unmilled base malt and a bag of milled specialty grain. I wasn't too pleased about that.

I wish I had asked. I need to brew these sooner than I was thinking I would.

Thanks for the help everyone but unfortunatly bad news......not horrible, i still like their kits and selection BUT i emailed Morebeer about the unmilled option and if i could have all grain unmilled and received this responds:
All the specialty grains in the kits will be milled. The base malt will not be milled. Specialty grain being premilled does not affect anything with the finished product. Other than that all the other grain you ordered was for the unmilled version.
Not a huge loss but just thought i'd let everyone know incase they ever have the same question.
BTW the customer service was very helpful so no complaints there.

Back