Dumb question, just want to make sure though.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balls_25

Reaction score
Cleaning/Sanitizing, very important right? Just want to make sure I am keeping everything clean, at an efficient rate. SS Kettle, PBW after every batch? Or just dish detergent and a good rinse? Carboy, PBW, then Star-San after every batch? Followed by a rinse and sanitize before every batch? All the other equipment, funnels, hydrometer, etc., wash w/ dish detergent, rinse, then Star-San before use?
-
Is this overkill? Or is it just about right? Anything I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

I don't use dish detergent because it is apt to leave some soapy residue that's hard to completely eliminate unless you rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse.

AFTER the batch, just worry about the eyeball test - get out all of the grime and other solids, scrub the inside and outside with a scrub brush and your PBW (I prefer OxyClean/Sun Oxy cleaner myself...the Sun is rebranded Oxyclean that's about $5 a tub at Big Lots or your local Dollar store).

No need, however, to use the Star-San AFTER a batch. It is just a waste, nothing needs to or is going to stay sanitary until you next batch.

On brew day, clean again with PBW/OxyClean/Sun Oxy, rince, empty THEN sanitize with Star-San before use.

So yeah, you're on the right track, but you are probably actually sanatizing a little more then you actually need. Good luck!

Be sure to dry your items between brew days.

Hoses can be lassoed around the head to spin out the water or you can hang them straight up and down on a clip to be sure they dry.

I kinda thought about the sanitizing after the batch. I just did my 2nd and didn't sanitize after, but read some places where it was "the routine." OxyClean is more cost efficient right? Just want to get a good routine in place. Thanks for the help.

Back