Dumb question about Star San bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reshp1

Reaction score
Okay, I tried to figure this one out, what is the extra opening in the bottle that star san comes in for? Is it a relief valve? There's measurement units on the little bubble it drains from which implies it's for measuring the right amount to use, but I can't figure out how you're supposed to dump the concentrate from the main vessel through that little thin tube that connects the bubble to the rest of the bottle.
:confused:

ITs not a dumb question. If you've never used such a thing, it could be quite odd. Here is the procedure:

1. Open cap on the small section with the measurments
2. Gently squeeze big section
3. You will see star san go up the small tube into the small section
4. Stop squeezing when at desired level
5. Drain into water and repeat as needed

I hope that helps

Haha, I had a feeling the lid would have to come off to get the it to fill, but I couldn't think of how to tilt the bottle so the little part would fill but wouldn't dump out of the openning. Never even occured to me that you could squeeze. Thanks.

No worries, I asked the same question in a different thread the other day. I tried everything (squeezing and tilting with both caps on, both off, one-on-one-off, etc.) and couldn't get it to work.

Turned out I just had a bit of plastic jammed in the tube. Once I squeezed hard enough it just sort of popped out and now it works properly. Just open the small compartment but keep the large one closed tightly so when you squeeze it can only go up the tube.

chris.

Back