Dumb AG Oxidation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallacebw

Reaction score
I'm an extract brewer looking to get into AG. I already have an 8gal brewpot and a KAB6 burner (doing full boils now)... Just need the HLT and mash tun. 10G coolers and gravity to start I think.

The question I have is at what point in the process does HSO become a concern? When I'm recirculating, sparging or Lautering is oxidation a concern or is it only post boil?

Thanks

Brian

From what I have read, hot side aeration is a concern at any time. It doesmet matter if it is post boil, pre boil... no matter.

Some claim HSA doesnt happen at all... some swear it does. I have read that is it s concern ANYTIME the wort is hot though. So that is how I operate.

If the wort is cool and Pre FERMENTATION you can whip it up all you like. If it is HOT, or POST fermentation, dont make bubbles.

The common wisdom is that HSA is an issue. You should recirculate gently (actually, you should do this anyway so you don't disturb the grain bed), lauter quietly, etc. This makes some sense. The less oxygen there is in solution, the slower your beer will oxidize.

The podcast Basic Brewing Radio did an episode about this and found that you really, really have to try to get noticable flavor degradation. In general, I don't worry about HSA too much at all and I'm very satisfied with my all grain beers.

If you're really worried, you could boil the water you're going to brew with first. This works because the solubility of gasses decreases in a liquid as temperature increases.

Back