Duda B3-36A 20 Plate-chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLOVE

Reaction score
In a word - awesome! :ban:

About 10 years ago I built a counter-chiller with one of those Phil's fitting kits. You know, the one where you snake 20 ft of 3/8" copper into a garden house, and run cold water through outer jacket, hot wort through the copper. Wonderful, cheap device - particularly great for 5 gal batches where you're gravity feeding the wort to a fermenter. If you go slow you can easily chill 200°+ wort down to 65°. But you have to wait like 20-30 min.

Fast forward to my new E-brewery - 10 gallon batches of awesomeness with March815 pumps. Great system, but the counter-chiller is massively undersized. With gravity feed, I'm looking at knock-off times of 60 min (unacceptable); if I pump, I have to recirculate back though the boil kettle several times to have any shot of cooling the wort below 100 or so. Again - not acceptable.

But every problem has a solution, and in this case it's a duda. Arrived a week ago and she got her first test drive Sunday on two 10 gal batches (and a couple of side 5 gal batches). Great brewday! I was able to run full bore with my 815 directly through the plate chiller and into my fermenters. As advertised, I cooled the entire 10 gal batch from near boiling to 65° in about 7-8 minutes. Mind blowing. :p No issues with clogging, though I should point out that I continuously recirculate during mashing. The wort runs super clear after a 75-95 min vorlauf. Makes for almost no trub post fermentation. I also bag my hops (usually whole hops) and hang them from a hop spider to keep them out of the pump (bad ju-ju).

Bottom line - I'm a believer. These plates really rock! :rockin:

My buddy and I also considered the 40 plate, but seems more than adequate 20 works great. I was worried I wouldn't have a high enough flow-rate to get any extra efficiency.

I wish I had measured the temp of the water coming out of the duda. It was hot enough that I definitely didn't want to keep my hand under the stream. Given the total volumes of water involved: almost 1:1 wort to chiller water, I'm thinking this is a great way to get started on strike water for a second batch!!!

I have the 40 plate version of that and using my chugger pumped from boil kettle directly to carboy but ran water too fast and the wort was like 52 degrees on the ThermoWorks temp gauge. Definitely works great!

I have the 30 plate version and me and a few brew buddies were simply amazed at how fast it was. Love it!!

In a word - awesome! :ban:

About 10 years ago I built a counter-chiller with one of those Phil's fitting kits. You know, the one where you snake 20 ft of 3/8" copper into a garden house, and run cold water through outer jacket, hot wort through the copper. Wonderful, cheap device - particularly great for 5 gal batches where you're gravity feeding the wort to a fermenter. If you go slow you can easily chill 200°+ wort down to 65°. But you have to wait like 20-30 min.

Fast forward to my new E-brewery - 10 gallon batches of awesomeness with March815 pumps. Great system, but the counter-chiller is massively undersized. With gravity feed, I'm looking at knock-off times of 60 min (unacceptable); if I pump, I have to recirculate back though the boil kettle several times to have any shot of cooling the wort below 100 or so. Again - not acceptable.

But every problem has a solution, and in this case it's a duda. Arrived a week ago and she got her first test drive Sunday on two 10 gal batches (and a couple of side 5 gal batches). Great brewday! I was able to run full bore with my 815 directly through the plate chiller and into my fermenters. As advertised, I cooled the entire 10 gal batch from near boiling to 65° in about 7-8 minutes. Mind blowing. :p No issues with clogging, though I should point out that I continuously recirculate during mashing. The wort runs super clear after a 75-95 min vorlauf. Makes for almost no trub post fermentation. I also bag my hops (usually whole hops) and hang them from a hop spider to keep them out of the pump (bad ju-ju).

Bottom line - I'm a believer. These plates really rock! :rockin:
I believe thats the same duda 20 plate chiller I use... (or maybe the B23A-20) But yeah I totally agree thats is works amazing... never going back to an immersion setup.. I also recirculate via a herms setup and get no trub issues at all...

One thing I did learn for those looking the longer ones are more efficient than the shorter ones ... Even if the shorter one has 30 plates and the longer one has 20.. The duda site states this but I also for the same info on a few chiller sites and articles.

I wish I had measured the temp of the water coming out of the duda. It was hot enough that I definitely didn't want to keep my hand under the stream. I'm thinking this is a great way to get started on strike water for a second batch!!!

I collect my "waste water" in 3 buckets, one containing a scoop of Oxyclean. By the time all three buckets are filled, the water coming out of the chiller is no longer very warm (these suckers chill FAST) so I just direct the hose down the driveway. I have 1 bucket of VERY hot Oxyclean solution, a bucket of hot rinse water, and a bucket of warm-ish rinse water. I use the water to clean my equipment after the wort is safely in the fermenter.

I clean the chiller by switching the inputs (to run the flow backwards), and running (5 minutes each) the hot water, then the hot Oxyclean solution, then the hot rinse water again, then Starsan, then the warm/cool rinse water. I then disconnect all the hoses and tilt it around to try and get all the water out, then I cap the ports with aluminum foil and store it.

Lots of great ideas on how to re-use the water being used. Thanks.

Yeah. Sounds like you could even attach a splitter to send it to the bucket or down the street.

Great ideas. I'm definitely going to try to reuse the chiller water for a double-batch brewday this weekend, but I really like the idea of using the same water for clean-up.

Anything we can do for the environment, right? Might be time to look into a CIP setup. I don't have a tippy dump, so lugging around sankes can get old during clean-up.

Glad to hear its working so well for you, Plove

Anyone who wants to go all out on a do it yourself environmental project could use the heated waste water and another chiller to heat waste vegetable oil for making biodiesel (which is where the 'diesel' in DudaDiesel comes from)

Back