Dual regulator and manifold question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoplobster

Reaction score
Hello.

I've been kegging for a while now and I have a simple setup with one keg, and a single body regulator. Very soon, I plan on purchasing another keg and adding a second low pressure regulator to the body so I can serve at one pressure and carbonate with another; ultimately ending up with two beers on at once. Eventually, I would like to add more than two kegs to my setup and my plan is to use one low pressure regulator to carb when I have a new batch and the other to serve beer that is ready to go.

Rather than continuing to add to the body of the regulator, my plan is to simply add a manifold to the "serving regulator" line and branch my serving kegs off of that one (no more than 4 or 5 kegs when I'm all done), serving beers at the same pressure (which I am fine with), leaving the other in-line regulator reserved for carbing.

I don't see any issues with this, but can someone with more kegging experience validate this? Also, would it matter which low pressure regulator was at the higher pressure? I carb using the set and forget method @ ~10psi.

Additionally, I realize that I could add a manifold to my single body regulator, and "burst carb" a keg, eliminating the need for my plan, but I don't want to do that.

Thanks!

"burst carbing" as you put it...is worthless in my opinion. It's going to take a few weeks for the beer to become "non-green" anyway...so why rush the carbonation?

Anyway... if you're using the set it and forget it method, then you should be setting the pressure and whatever you plan on serving it at. That being the case...you don't really need a dual body regulator. I serve two kegs and carb another, all off a single body regulator. I've never had an issue.

I use a manifold as you've mentioned and just set everything to 12-15psi depending on what temp my fridge is at.

I age before carbing, and have a 4 keg kegerator. However, I have almost exactly what you suggested: two pressures out of the regulator. One for high pressure (soda, carbing, Belgians, etc.) and a 10-12psi feed to a 4-port manifold.

Works great!

ditto with r2eng. I like to have the ability to have some at 10-12 and others at higher hef/belgian pressures. also I made sure to get a larger manifold to insure I had enough for the kegs but also a free one for my quick disconnect counter pressure bottle filler.

Me too - dual body regulator with one line into a three port manifold (10-12psi for distributing) and a second line that I can jack up or down pressures (porters/ciders). I have a 4 keg set up, but usually one cider on tap. Works out well for me.

If your don't care about having different pressures the 4 or 5 manifold should be good.

Back