dual purpose mini fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matc

Reaction score
I am on tight budget and space so I use my mini fridge as a kegerator and a fermentation chamber. I use an stc-1000 to control the fermentation. Now I realize that even though the room is at 70 F, the fridge needs some warmth to get to 68 since I pitch at 64. If I add a heater or fermwrap, how could I get the power cord through the fridge ? The stc probe is squeezed in the door seal but it's so small that it doesn't seem to be a problem...a thick power cord will be a problem.

By the way, on the back of the fridge, there is a drain hole but this hole is already used by a fan to chill the tower, I am not sure if I could squeeze in another cord through there.

I use a lasko ceramic heater, no problem squeezing that little cord in the door. You measuring beer temp with the probe right?

Yes, the probe is taped to the fermenter with some insulation behind it to make sure it reads only the wall of the bucket. With the cord through thr door, won't the compressor cycle too much ?

Leave the door of the frig cracked open, unit unplugged, until the temperature is 68°, then use the cooling control for holding the fermentation temperature where you want it.

I have a small heat pad wrap that I can use with my stc and mini fridge but I have never actually used it because the fridge is really only needing to reduce exothermic heat. You pitch at 64 thing raise temp to 68?

Back