Dual pitch: Wyeast 1968 & 1056. English and Cali ale advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing a single hop IPA and looking to pitch Wyeast 1968 as the primary and 1056 as a secondary near the end of fermentation.

My goals are to:

- get fruity, English yeast esters
- obtain a dry finish (1.010 or lower)

The plan is pitch a healthy starter of 1968 with oxygen and and pitch a decent slurry of 1056 about 5-7 days later in hopes of near 90% attenuation. I will mash around 148* for 90min and use about 8-9% dextrose in the grist.

Has anyone pitched both of these yeasts? Any tips or ideas to make this effort most successful?

1968 should have no problem getting the beer dry enough with that mash temp and sugar. The 1056 will probably not be necessary. You could also just use WLP007, dry english ale.

Just an FYI... White Labs already packaged this combo as 'Best of Both Worlds'. It was okay, but not as fruity as a typical English Ale and no where near the dryness of a Cal Ale.

1968 should have no problem getting the beer dry enough with that mash temp and sugar. The 1056 will probably not be necessary. You could also just use WLP007, dry english ale.

Shooting for 1.072 SG. In my experience 1968 does not attenuate well enough at that range for what I want

Just an FYI... White Labs already packaged this combo as 'Best of Both Worlds'. It was okay, but not as fruity as a typical English Ale and no where near the dryness of a Cal Ale.

Was hoping that starting it out with 1968 by itself might help develop more of that character

I might try just pitching the 1968 and then finishing with a saison yeast to really dry it out. I've never done that myself but I've heard many people talk about doing it with good results.

Back