Drying washed yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkwright

Reaction score
I live in Alabama one of the only states where homebrewing isn't "allowed". Brewing yeast is hard to come by so is there any way to dry washed yeast? Id like to dry what I dont need at that moment for long storage so I can make batch after batch with my own yeast strain w/o the fear of a batch becoming contaminanted and losing my yeast. Is there a method for this?

Not sure (at least methods easily performed by a homebrewer), and I'm not sure if the shelf life of dry yeast is much more than that of wet yeast. If not, is there any advantage to drying as opposed to just storing the yeast in the fridge in mason jars? That should keep the yeast about a year.

I wouldn't try to dry liquid yeast strains. Not all yeast are capable of being dried. I think a better option would be to farm yeast and freeze it. Check out the link below in my signature.

Cheers

You can keep your culture in the fridge and I believe you can freeze it as well... it just has to be air tight, with an air lock! I think as long as you keep it free from contamination you can continue to culture it.

Thanks for the info ill freeze it I wasnt sure about shelf life of washed yeast

Be sure to read before freezing. If you just plop it in the freezer you're likely to kill all your yeast. It can survive for a long time in the refrigerator, you just will need to make a starter again after a few weeks of storage.

Latest posts

Back