dryhop-large carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrone_mike

Reaction score
So I just went to a lhbs to get another bb and they only had the 6 gallon no 5 gallon. He was nice enough to give to to me for the price of the 5. My problem here is i specifically purchased it to use as a secondary for dry hopping and fruit additions. But im nervous in the 6 gal with excess room causing oxidation. I know right now if left in the bucket the co2 layer will keep it fine. Should i just pop the lid n dry hop in primary or will the one gallon not be enough excess to affect it?

For dryhopping, about a week or so, that extra headspace shouldn't cause too much of a problem. You will have a little CO2 off-gassing from the transfer process. As long as you minimize aeration while racking, it'll be fine.

Ok perfect i was hoping for that answer since i do love to look at the beer and not stare at an off white bucket. Thanks!

If you can see the beer, you are letting light in. The carboy should be in a dark closet or covered.

Don't think they meant what you think. I think a lot of us like using a carboy for fermenting because unlike a white bucket, u can see what's going on at the various stages of fermentation. That doesn't mean that it's out in the open

No i knew that I just like to be able to open my closet and look (even after fermentation ) just for my own pleasure and without having to pop the lid. Thanks for the response!

Back